Camel shrimp woes

leon1972

Reefing newb
So I have a smart camel shrimp. The bottle trap doesn't work and I have removed every piece of live rock twice and he is too skittish for me to catch him. I'm at the last resort of killing him. Will a dose of copper kill my snails? Any advice on other ways to get rid of this bastard?

It will likely kill any invert in your tank, & the bacteria in your rock. It will stay in your sand assuming you have sand. I don't think I would go that route. Have you tried cornering him with two nets, or containers.

Yup. He NEVER comes out from the rock. And I spent 3 hours inspecting each piece as I took it out and then as I put it back in. He is friggin Houdini. That's his name in fact now. Houdini the shrimp

uM....wait did u just say..... copper and....nevermind...look. ive ripped my whole tank apart multiple times for things that i needed to get out. Dont be foolish. Get some buckets partically filled with SW and start pulling rocks...this isnt rocket science. Ive pulled my hair out, about getting killer cleaner shimp, an evil xmas wrasse, a dottyback, ect out my tank. DO what u gotta do but dont crash your tank.

I'm a noob in this area, but would dipping the rocks in fresh water help?

I know Inverts are really sensitive to ph/sg/temp so maybe you could leave the rocks in a "cooler" bucket overnight. It would kill any bacteria/pods/good things on the rock but it would take care of the shrimp and wouldn't leave copper in your tank.

The meds that contain copper are not meant to be used in your tank. They must be used in a separate quarantine tank only. Even a small amount of copper will kill all inverts -- and will poison your rocks and sand. You will not be able to keep any inverts in that tank if you dose copper even once.

Do what Dana said. Figure out what rock he's in. Remove the rocks one by one. Isolate the shrimp. Do a freshwater dip on that rock only. Don't wipe out your entire tank looking for one shrimp.

I agree with every one don't crash it just over one shrimp the shrimp can be tracked and killed. Hell before ever using copper or thinking about copper I'd drop a CBS in there or a mantis but never ever would I use copper. but yeah pull the rock and Fresh dip it the bugger should just out of the rock after a few moments there you go shrimp problem salved.

your current aquarium states
(Current Aquarium(s) Description: 75 Gallon FOWL w/ LR, 2 Clowns, 1 Blue Damsel
Experience in Saltwater & Reef Aquarium Hobby: 10FEB12)
Why are you trying to remove the shrimp?

Because he's eating my snails and I just added a goby. I read that camel shrimp eat gobs as well. Hopefully he is big enough to fend off the shrimp or the shrimp won't come near him!!! I'll try the fresh water dip when I do my water change tomorrow. Will this kill the stuff growing in or on my rock?

If copper will totally crash your tank then why do some meds contain the stuff?

You Never NEVER NEVER dose ANYTHING with copper in your display tank. It will be absorbed by your sand and rock, and even the silicone of your tank, and make it impossible to keep inverts

Medications contain copper because the goal of the medication is often to kill some sort of parasitic invert that has effected fish - and it indiscriminately kills inverts good and bad. So yes, dosing copper will kill your snails, most likely before your shrimp

Also, it is worth noting that if treated incorrectly, copper is also dangerous to fish as well, though in much higher doses than invertibrates

I FINALLY caught Houdini!!!! After several other methods I did a freshwater dip of my LR and STILL couldn't find him. how did I catch him? He was chilling on a pump in my tank and I cornered him with the net. Hahaha.

Well for one I didn't end up killing him. Two I was under the impression that a quick freshwater dip wouldn't kill him IMMEDIATLEY. Three, I couldn't catch him any other way I was at that last resort point where I did not know what else to do. It took me weeks to catch him.

Well for one I didn't end up killing him. Two I was under the impression that a quick freshwater dip wouldn't kill him IMMEDIATLEY. Three, I couldn't catch him any other way I was at that last resort point where I did not know what else to do. It took me weeks to catch him.

I know. I wasn't posting at you.

Back