Clown Fish NOT in Anemone

Reefster

Reefing newb
I have had 2 juvenile clown fish for two weeks now along with a new 4" pink bubble tip anemone. The fish have shown no interest in the anemone. Should they have now or will they ever? They seem to just hang out together; much of the time in front of the powerhead about 12 inches above the anemone.

I've heard that even if you give them the anemone they were hosting at the store, they won't always go back to hosting it in your tank, and if they do it can take months to happen. I've had my clowns for 2 and a half months and just this week they've begun to host a coral - up to this point they had shown interest in one area of the tank but spent most of their time swimming all over with the other fish. Even now that they've chosen a coral to host they still spend most of the day swimming. Clowns are gonna do what they want to do, and will host what they want to host when they want to host it - it's not necessarily going to be the same thing you want them to host or when you want them to host it!

Yeah clowns are odd little creatures sometimes. Mine host the back corner of their tank in the fowlr, and the ones in the reef tank host a hammer.

I heard of someone taping a pic of a clown in a nem on the side of the tank, but im not too sure about that lol.

Yeah, you can tape a magazine picture of a clown on the glass next to your anemone and that might entice the clowns to get curious enough to come over and check it out.

But there is no guarantee that clowns will host anything. Sometimes they choose a powerhead, heater, rock or piece of algae over an anemone. Clowns do not need an anemone to survive, and anemones do not need clowns to survive, and there isn't a surefire way of "forcing" one to host...

Your best bet is to wait and see, and hope that the clowns take a liking to it. :)

Back