cycle question

newtoit

Reefing newb
I am new to having a saltwater aquarium i have had my tank for about two weeks and just want to make sure im doing this right. I bought about 30 pounds of live rock from a local guy and i put it in my tank hoping to start my cycle but it hasnt happend yet. someone told me that if i bought cured live rock that it wont cycle and i could start adding fish and coral. Is this right or should i buy something to start my cycle??

If it's already live, you might not have a cycle at all. Just monitor your parameters (Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates). Watch out for die off from the rock, which will trigger a mini-cycle. If you want to be extra careful, wait a week before you add fish...add only 1-2 fish at a time per few weeks so you don't overload your system too fast.

Welcome to the site!

i have seen about 8 little bigs they are white and crawling around like crazy i have done research and think they may be copepods, which are good right? i also see small worms i have been trying to compare them to pictures on the internet but its hard. they are small and have lots of legs i have seen one white one and then there was one the same color as they live rock almost like a purple color should i try to get them out??

Last edited:
+1 dcan...congrats on the hitchhikers :D Just watch out for popping/snapping sounds...those are usually not good.

Back