d2mini's REAL 130g Rimless Cube Build Thread

Ok, so i finally got a chance to start working on something I've been wanting to do for a while. I decided to build a live rock tower on top of one of my main two rock islands, that actually penetrates the water surface. (I said "penetrates" :mrgreen: )
This is the start of it, the main portion.
Next i'm going to add maybe a couple small rock shelves that stick out horizontally from it.
My nem is probably a little pissed but I like it. Will be interesting to see what kind of sps i can get to grow that close to the light and if it will grow beyond the surface of the water. I also expect to see snails and hermits at the water's surface.
Will post more pics as I add to it, but here's two different views.

1009528702_TLhZs-O.jpg

1009528664_XxX3P-O.jpg

that will be sweet. are you planning on keeping the horizontals just under the waters surface? what's the idea there...When I started aquascaping my tank, my original plan was to have 2 long thin "shelves going horizontal, I just wasn't able to pull it off to my liking with the rock I have..Can't wait to see it done...Maybe it'll get me to get my butt in gear and get some shelf rock.

Oh yeah, the pics suck.:D:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Looks good Dennis, I saw someone do that on another forum and it looked really cool. Can't wait to see how yours ends up

Yeah, that's what your tank needs. Something to make it interesting, instead of it just being a boring old rimless cube tank. :D

Still looking good Dennis!

Ya, i had those in my sump. They need to be buried in the substrate and the leaves need to be above the water surface. Not really ideal for this situation.

BTW, i was just petting my purple urchin. He was at the top and partially out of the water. :mrgreen: I tried to get my wife to pet my purple urchin but she refused. :shock:

I just read this from the beginning and I didn't want it to end!
Your tank is absolutely amazing. A-mazing.

'Scuse me, I need to go out and buy a whole bunch of awesomeness to make up for the lack of it in my tank... Way to make me spend money.

New pics from tonite.
First time in this whole thread where I've shot straight down from the above the water surface instead of through the glass from the side.

1011808756_ncB2L-O.jpg

1011808802_VGUm8-O.jpg

1011808671_Treh2-O.jpg

1011808447_TPoHg-O.jpg

1011808622_dYigw-O.jpg

1011808562_CN4om-O.jpg

1011808496_GXrUL-O.jpg

Amazing pics, was your camera above the surface or below using a housing? The texture on the chalice and branching hammer is really intense. I love the white hammer as well.

Back