Did my clown just hurt it's anemone?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I just put a little chunk of frozen marine cuisine in my clown's tank. I thought he might like it. So he grabs the chunk of frozen food and puts it on the anemone. I tried to get it out but the thing closed around it. Isn't that bad for it? Will it hurt it?

thanks,
C

Nawww...the clown was intentionally feeding the anemone. That's how they repay the anemone for protection. Your anemone will eat it with no problem, and whatever he don't want, he'll spit back out.

I dont think that happening once will hurt the anemone.But I'd try to keep it from happening any more.

Right, I'm worried because my LFS guy said you can only feed them silverfish and it has to be very defrosted. Would the fact that it's not a fish and a chunk of frozen marine stuff hurt the anemone?

thanks,
Catherine

You don't only need to feed them silversides. You can feed them any food that your fish eat. Fish food is perfectly fine for them, in fact a variety in their diet is a good thing.

Thanks, I didn't know that. It's a nice thing though because those whole fish are disgusting.

Catherine

That's the only way my anemone gets fed. I never directly fed it in the 6 yrs or so I've had it. I deliberately feed some bigger pieces of frozen (thawed out) food and the clowns take them right into the anemone.

Catherine,Heres a list what my anemone used to get.Silversides,clam strips,frozen mysis,raw table shrimp,oysters,cyclops,rotifers,and every once in a while,a live damsel.

The closest I could find was a goldfish being fed, pretty cool :
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmqWZRMLg0E]YouTube - Feeding the Anemone - attack of the killer clownfish[/ame]

dang thats crazy!! my nem killed himself but he would eat silversides, frozen table shrimp, mysis and just about anything the clowns would bring it :)

Back