easy question

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QKJbO4UBJw]How to Select an RODI Unit - YouTube[/ame]

From an online FAQ:

You can save some money by purchasing a three-stage filter lacking the DI stage. Reverse osmosis typically removes 90-98% of all the impurities of significance to the aquarist. If that is good enough for your needs, then you don't need the DI stage. The use of RO by itself is certainly better than plain tap water and, in many cases, is perfectly adequate.

RO by itself might not be adequate if your tap water contains something that you want to reduce by more than 90-98%. For example, if you have 10 PPM of phosphates in your tap water, reducing it by 90% takes it to 1 PPM, which is still too high.

Last edited:
Update: I bought the above RO/DI system, i installed it today. It's been running for an hour. Should I throw away the water the has first come through the system for the first hour? I tested that water and it still has .25 phosphates in it. PLease tell me it will get better, please tell me it will eventually be zero. PLEASE!!

I would throw away that water. But just to make sure any residual chemicals from the plastic forming don't end up in the tank.

What are you using to get test your phosphates? Many tests aren't adequate and give false positives.

I would get a TDS meter and as long as you are bellow 10 ppm TDS, you should be good to go.

I'm using an API test kit. I am not buying another thing right now, just not happening. I've already spent $300 on water systems lately...one that failed (due to my lack of research) and now this one. I refuse to buy another thing. So, the API test kit just better show me a zero on that water soon!!

ok i will, lol. Any other in expensive test kits i can use? I swear i dont want to drop another dime in my tank for awhile. I am really tired of spending my extra money on equipment rather than livestock. I am going to just use this water for a couple of months and see if things get better.

Back