fairy wrasse

MYSTIC78

somewhat experienced newb
i got a fairy wrasse a couple months ago and hes been doin great. at first i didnt see him all that much. then he opend up and started swimming out in the open more and showing off a little bit. now hes been swimming head up and floating over to the power head and letting the current sweap him away. some weird behavior. and he dont seem as interested in food. hes still eating but not like he was. is this normal behavior for wrasses.

mystic78-albums-new-pics-picture1998-fairy-wrasse.jpg

mystic78-albums-new-pics-picture1997-fairy-wrasse.jpg

mystic78-albums-new-pics-picture1997-fairy-wrasse.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of these wrasses are not brought up from the deep slow enough. So over time they have swim blatter problems and end up dead.

i have about 5 turbos
10 nassarius
15 fuzzy chitons
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
2 pepperment shrimp
50 hermit crabs
1 snowflake eel
1 goldheaded sleeper goby
4 firefish
1 yellow tang
1 fairy wrasse

i feed him a couple silversides every two to three days and sometimes i buy him crab to eat. hes not that big.

It doesn't matter how big he is or how often he gets fed.

I had a snowflake that ate ANYTHING that was added to the tank after him. A pair of leopard wrasses and a flame angel got munched before I took him back to the store. I thought all three were way too big for him. I also fed him a dozen or so silversides every other day.

i think we got off track a little but thanks for the suggestions. and i do plan on removing the eel in time.

i think we got off track a little but thanks for the suggestions. and i do plan on removing the eel in time.

You might want to start training him to come out at feeding time now, then.

When I finally stopped being so hard-headed about my eel he was ridiculously easy to catch because I already had him trained to come ALL the way out of his cave at feeding time. (I was always paranoid he was going to hurt himself and wanted to check him for lacerations.)

he comes out when i feed him. thats how i know hes hungry. hell come out and swim around. then i feed him and he returns to his cave.

Back