Filtration question

Pastor Salty

Reefing newb
I have a 75 gallon tank with at least 100 pounds of LR. As of now I am running an Emperor 400 HOB filter. I just don't think the filter is doing the job it should be. I don't have room for a refugium under the stand.

So what do you think I should use?

Also, budget is an issue.

I would sell the filter and get a good protein skimmer, it will be much much better for your tank, plus its much easier to take care of. A great skimmer is a reef octopus skimmer, and they have a HOB style

Would a protein skimmer do a better job than a canister filter?

If you have live rocks that is your filter you dont need a HOB filter, yes a skimmer is the best thing to keep your water clear and high quality in a saltwater tank. I keep my HOB filter just to run occasional carbon.

I use the reef octopus HOB skimmer and its fantastic!

Canister filters tend to be nitrate factories unless you plan on rinsing them out regularly. However, some people do keep their canisters just to run carbon when they need it.

I have a skimmer question. In the past when I bought a filter for my freshwater tank I would get the next stage up, meaning if I have a 20 gallon tank I get a filter rater for a 40 gallon tank. She this be the rule of thought on simmers as well?

Would a protein skimmer do a better job than a canister filter?

Oh yes! Way better, IMO.

I have a skimmer question. In the past when I bought a filter for my freshwater tank I would get the next stage up, meaning if I have a 20 gallon tank I get a filter rater for a 40 gallon tank. She this be the rule of thought on simmers as well?

It should be. It's generally recommended to get one rated for twice your tank size, if your bank account permits.

Back