Finally....

jb61264

Reefing newb
Well, after three looooooong weeks and a few days, my tank has finally turned the corner on cycling. :bounce:

Both my nitrites and nitrates have fallen...nitrites are probably 1.6 to 3.3 mg/l and nitrates are probably 12.5 to 25 mg/l...both were "off the scale" last week and up until tomorrow when I thought the titrations on the tests were behaving differently and today confirmed that things are definately less than they have been.

Should I do a small water change now?

I will be contacting TBSW to let them know to ship my rock next week unless someone thinks I should hold off a little bit yet.

If The Rock That You Are Purchasing Is Not Cured You Most Likely Will Go Through A Cycle Again. So I Would Get The Rock Asap To Put In The Tank And Finish Cycling That Way. Then After Your Nitrites Go To 0 You Can Do A Water Change To Bring Your Nitrates Down.

yeah you probably should have gotten those rocks earlier so your tank could have cycled with them. Unfortunately now you may have to go through with another impatient cycling. Depends on how cured the rock is. Try to get as much of the "die off" off the rock before putting it in the tank.

I'm cycling my tank like this because I want to be able to preserve as much of the life that will come on the TampaBay Saltwater Rock that will be shipped...if I had cycled my tank from the beginning with it, alot of the hitchhikers and stuff would most likely have died off.

And If You Do Get A Mini Cycle, You Can Just Do Extra Water Changes To Keep The Levels Reasonable

Have them ship the rock overnight.It'll cost a little more,but it'll also keep it from having as much die off.You'll have some anyway,just try to keep it at a minimum.
Either way your probably going to see some ammonia after adding the new rock.So just just keep plenty of water mixed up to keep the levels as low as possible.

I did Saturday delivery so I could insure that I would be home all day to get it inside and out of the cold. Unfortunately they delivered it early on Friday and I had to force my gf to get all 52 lbs worth of rock. She wasn't happy carrying those big boxes.

Back