fish breathing fast

reefer2b

Reefing newb
So this morning my daughter asks me why our angel fish is breathing funny. Sure enough his lips are extended and he's breathing really rapidly. He's also hiding under a rock which it never does. One of my clowns is exhibiting the same behavior but still ate. My other clown and royal gramma seem to acting normally. My cleaner shrimp didn't really eat this morning either, and seem to be a little pale. (this usually happens before it sheds though so might just be coincidental) Everything else seems ok, corals and anenome seem fine. I checked the water param's and nitrates, nitritate and ammonia are all very low the PH was also low at 7.8 but I can never get it much higher than that anyway. I don't know what else to check the water for to see what the problem might be. Any suggestions?

I see that your PH is 7.8. For corals it should be 8.1-8.4. PH increaser should help. As for the fish, if its only one or two and not all, i would suspect another fish acting nasty. hope this helps...

Thanks for the quick responses. I know about the ph I keep adding stuff but it sticks to around 7.8. Any recommendations on a product (I can't remember what I have)
I was thinking salinity but it's usually higher than it should be thanks to evaporation. I can't remember the last time I actually added salt water to my tank. I need to get to the pet store and get some more water. I added a gallon 2 days ago and it's still high.

The low PH could also be due to high carbon dioxide levels in the water.But could also be from higher than normal disolved organics.
I'd try a water change first and see what that does for the PH.Plus its best to check just before the lights go off for the night,thats when the PH is going to be the highest.

High Co2 levels (common during winter months) in the house contribute to low PH as well. If you can open the windows for a little bit each day it will help. A protein skimmer will also help in keeping PH elevated because of the air it is injecting into the water column. Nitrites and ammonia are two other things I have seen that cause fish to gasp. HTH.

You should be doing water changes regulary. I would do a big water change, Make some fresh saltwater and put in the tank. See what happens!

I changed the water last week. Need to get some more. This afternoon the both fish ate and seem to be acting normal again. I might drag hubby to the fish store this weekend to get the water since I've hurt my back.
I've been thinking of getting a protein skimmer mainly because of the scum on the water surface. Is it nesecarry to run them constantly? I don't want to have to listen to it during the night. I've never had a problem with any water levels other than the ph. My tank is now over a year old and nothing has ever spiked(not even in the beginning)

I would definitely get a skimmer and run it 24/7. Without a skimmer, you will need to do more regular water changes. since you dont have one yet, i would do another 10-20% water change.

I only had one fish do that, a lawnmower blennie. He hid in a rock, breathing rapidly, then expired a few days later. Reading "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist", it sounded like tuberculosis or wasting disease. Never spread to the other fish.

Back