Flowerpot Coral.

ltljoker

The Great Tang Herder
i was wondering if anyone has had any luck with these. :shock: every site I go to says extreamly difficult and only survives a few months in captivity.:frustrat: Why is this coral such a mystery.:dunno: Yote even says his lfs wont even order them cause of the complexity to keeping one alive:zombie:

I didnt get the one i saw due to the unknown

In my 240, I had one for about a year. It was bleached white when I got it, and I was never able to get it back to health -- it slowly faded away and stayed white.

I have a green/yellow one now in my 90. It has been going strong for a few months. I think the key to their success is frequent and heavy feedings of small foods like cyclopeeze and rotifers. They are very slow feeders, and I've found the best way to feed them is to cut the bottom off of a soda bottle, place the soda bottle over the coral, and squirt food in through the top of the bottle. This gives the coral tons of time to eat.

Thats a great article Bj and it expreses the need to feed it heavily as Biff says. Man thats alot of food. The guy said 3 to 5 times a week. WOW:frustrat:

I would have to go back through my pics to see exactly how long I've had mine but it's been about 6-8 months. In that time mine has only been fully open for about a month but, I know others have had far more success then me.

I just got one about a week ago. It hasn't opened all the way, but it will come out a bit. From all the reading I could find, its the same as stated above. Frequent feedings of small foods. I thought it looked very cool and a friend gave me a great price on mine so I thought I'd give it a try. I usually just squirt some food at it real slow, but Biff's idea is great and I'm going to give that a try.

I did have mine up closer to the light, and in a bit more flow when I first put it in the tank and it seemed to open more. But after reading another article it said not too much flow and not too much light so I moved it down. I'm going to give it a couple weeks in this spot, if nothing changes I'm going to try the higher spot again. Mine is the Bright Green Branching from the above article.

I think it might have been Fenner that said there was some success when an algae scrubber was used because of the large amount of pods produced by scrubber.

I do think that lots of small foods is the key. Although I don't have one I would like a red Goniopora, but my LFS has really jacked up the price to $69.99 for a quarter sized chunk.

Last edited:
Hey #1 that Flowerpot would go great with those Moorish Idols! You could just have a tank of impossibilities!!! :mrgreen:

I have had several before and the longest living was about a year before it died from causes only know to itself. :shock: :lol:

my lfs usually has a few flowerpots everytime i go there
and they always look gorgeous and fully open
i don't know what the hell he does. i think it's magic

Ok so after reading Bj's lil article I decided to go ahead and buy this coral.:frustrat: Like that is a shock :shocking:to any of you who know me. With what the Biffer said about feeding the lil guy alot I will attempt to keep it alive:zombie: i will keep everyone posted with updates:claphands

Hey Biff where do you keep yours. I have mine up a lil ways closer to the lights but the article says it likes to be on the sandbed. Where would it be happier

Bifferwine,
I saw your post and was wondering how long you leave the bottle over the coral? We got a free one from my friend's husband. He was redoing his tank. If it was not free, I would not have bought it. Now we have a whole other level of testing. Do we also need to dose it with calcium, etc.?

Thanks,
Angie

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to dose for anything. It doesn't need any more calcium either -- what comes in your salt mixes from water changes is sufficient. When I would feed mine, I'd leave the bottle on for a good 15 minutes or so. They are pretty slow eaters, which is why they can be tricky to keep. Other animals will steal the food right out of their mouths before they even get a chance to feed. The bottle keeps the other tank critters away and gives them a shot to eat in peace. :)

This particular piece of flowerpot was being hosted by a Clarkii clown fish. When our clown comes near it retracts. It also secreted some white stringy stuff. I will get some cyclopeeze. It is about 2" from bottom on the rock. He is glued there. Is that okay? His polyps are out on about half of him. He is the size of a tennis ball. My husband said maybe we should get an anemone. I said no, but the LFS guy said we could. I told him the LFS guy may want to sell you 10 anemones, a bigger tank and on and on.
Thanks,
Angie

lol so true on the lfs guy.

Wait on the nem, at least 6 months, preferably a year, and even then it would be a big risk in a 14 gallon. Nems need about 30 gallons minimum.

Back