GFo Reactor

kev651

Reefing newb
I am looking into buying a GFO reactor after learing how important it is to keep phosphates down to stop algae growth. After looking at the reactor..where do I install this thing...does it get plumbed inline with the return pump or??? I have an RS-100 Sump and I will include pictures of my setup..Thanks

I am looking at the single reactor at Bulk Reef Supply

Attachments

• 20130506_211203.jpg
    20130506_211203.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,054
  • 20130506_211139.jpg
    20130506_211139.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 549
High phosphates promotes algae growth which in turn can stifle coral growth (by growing over the corals). Also algae is cosmetically undesirable so most people want to keep it low. Also, high phosphates interfere with calcification in SPS corals (and to some extent LPS) it will limit growth of those corals.

Get a test kit so you know what levels you are at right now.

As for whether you need a reactor, if you have a smaller tank and are not having algae problems - you probably don't need a GFO. For larger systems or reef systems I think its a must (GFO or biopellets/carbon dosing).

I would not recommend plumbing your reactor inline with your return pump, the flow will be too great on the media. You can do it but I think its simpler if you use a separate and much smaller pump.

Generally the reactor sits outside of the sump (to save room) and you would have a water pump in your sump and tubing going through the reactor and returning into the sump (near the intake of the return pump). I use a max-jet 1200. Often people will "daisy-chain" a carbon reactor or other reactors with the GFO.

Currently I am still buying parts to build my 1st saltwater tank and i have a bad feeling about algae..its a 72G bowfront and am planning a reef system

Its actually pretty easy to set up a GFO reactor. I have the single reactor from BRS, and essentially all that goes in the sump is a small pump (I use the MJ1200, suction cupped to the side of my sump). There are then hoses coming off the pump to the reactor, which I have hanging on the opposite side of my stand. Another piece of tubing dumps water back into the sump. The reactor came with everything I needed to set it up.

Also, I didn't find I needed a reactor until I'd had my tank up for almost a year, and I only added one because I increased feeding to keep anthias and have been adding more sps to my tank. I've never really had a problem with algae growth. You can keep algae growth under control by using a good rodi, trying really hard not to buy frags that have algae on them, having a good protein skimmer, having an adequate clean up crew, doing regular water changes, and not overfeeding. If I were you, I'd try it without a reactor first and see how things go. Spend the money for a reactor on a good rodi and protein skimmer first!

Back