Gobies and Shrimp?

Martinb

Reefing newb
Hello!
I am new to the hobby and have a few questions:
I have a 12 gallon nano-cube nano reef, and want to have a clownfish, A blue damsel, and a yellow watchman goby. Do you think my 12 gallon will be enough room for those three fish?

I also heard that yellow watchman gobies can provide protection for shrimp that burrow. What species of shrimp could I get that will dig a burrow for my goby to watch?

Lastly, how long should I let the water cycle before adding my first fish??

Thanks!!!
martin

I think you'd be fine with those fish in your cube.

Not sure about the shrimp, never heard of the shrimp digging a hole. The goby will dig a hole and the shrimp will clean the goby, lol. Just never heard of a shrimp doing the digging haha.

As for your cycle, make sure your Ammonia and Nitrites read 0! How much LR (Live Rock) and sand do you have in your tank so far?

Hello!
I am new to the hobby and have a few questions:
I have a 12 gallon nano-cube nano reef, and want to have a clownfish, A blue damsel, and a yellow watchman goby. Do you think my 12 gallon will be enough room for those three fish?

I also heard that yellow watchman gobies can provide protection for shrimp that burrow. What species of shrimp could I get that will dig a burrow for my goby to watch?

Lastly, how long should I let the water cycle before adding my first fish??

Thanks!!!
martin

Martin,

IMO 3 fish are just too much for a 12g tank. It's quite hard to keep your water levels good, especially your nitrates. You'll have to do weekly water changes of 3 or 4 gals to keep the nitrates less than 15/20PPM. I speak from person experience as I had a 14g Biocube and 3 fish(a clown, yellow tail damsel and six line wrasse).

Make sure you tank the proper amount of time to cycle your tank to have the best results. It will take around 4-6 weeks. You'll want to have at least 12lbs of LR and 10lbs of live sand. It's much better to have around 18lbs of LR to help w/ your bio-filtration which will be your major source.

Also, don't use tap water to start your tank, for water changes or for top offs. The best water to use is RO/DI or Distilled water. Hope this help and welcome to the hobby! :bounce:

Hello and welcome!
I'd recommend you pick two of those fish. The tank is just too small for three fish -- especially aggressive fish like a damsel and clown. They would probably fight (even to the death).

It usually takes about a month for the tank to cycle, but you will have to test your water to know when it's ready. When ammonia and nitrites are both at zero, your cycle is complete.

You are looking for a pistol shrimp. I had one but it dug too much and had a rock fall, on him :(

Ok, that last part snuck up on me, about the rock falling on him...that sucks...

I have a pistol shrimp who was symbiotic w/ a 2 spot goby. Unfortunately, the goby died :( I replaced him w/ a clown goby, but of course, they have nothing to do with each other.

+1 Hiker and Biff
A 12 gallon is just to small for those 3 fish.I dont even think I would try 2 of those in there.I'd pick between the clown and the goby.
And welcome to the reef,were happy to have you.

Back