help please

william

Reefing newb
Hi everyone. I'm new to this hobby and normally wouldn't enter something this involved and temperamental without more education on the subject but my acquisition of a 55g saltwater tank was a bit of a rescue situation. A friend was moving and could no longer keep his setup so I took it over. From my limited knowledge of saltwater systems and tropical fish in general I have come to the conclusion that the tank is not as stable as my friend said. the lionfish has taken to staying at the top of the tank near the pump as if he's struggling for oxygen. The trigger has become quite dormant and the clown is very timid and cautious. I did a nitrite test strip and it said my nitrite and nitrate levels were very high and that I should exchange 25% water out. I see from other posts that getting these levels in check can prove quite difficult. I'm tempted to take the fish to a local tropical fish store and see if the can take them so I can safely get the tank stable without harming the inhabitants or causing then any more stress. Am I over reacting? I know there are no simple solutions in this hobby but cab someone please hold my hand here and walk me through what I need to do and where to start to make sure this system is healthy. Btw there are only fish and live rock at this point. No coral, anemones our invertebrate in the tank. thank you

I don't think you are overreacting. The tank is too small for the trigger, and that can easily be causing him stress (which can cause disease and death). Same for the lion (although there are a few smaller lionfish species that would be fine in a 55, without knowing what kind it is, I can only guess that it's one of the larger ones, which could be causing it problems). The tang is also too large for that tank, but the clown is fine in it.

I would take everything but the clown to the store. They should be able to give you some decent store credit for when you are ready to add more (appropriately sized) fish back in.

In a 55 gallon tank, you should have at least two powerheads for water movement. Fish hovering at the top is a sign of lack of oxygen, so I think you may be onto something there.

Ammonia and nitrite should both be at zero in a healthy tank. Any readings above zero for those two things can be fatal to fish. Nitrates are less important in a tank without corals or inverts, but you still want nitrates to be less than 20.

Taking some of the fish out, adding another couple powerheads for water movement (check out MaxiJets and Hydor Koralia powerheads), and doing some water changes will help.

Do you know how to do water changes?

I'm glad you posted here, and I'm glad you're trying to get some research done! A lot of people get thrown into this hobby the way you were, and it can be overwhelming at first. But hang in there, you'll get through it, and you'll get the hang of it. :)

+1 Biffy, you are being a responsible pet owner and not over-reacting!

But I would also suggest getting a liquid reagent test kit, like API or salfert. The test strips are notoriously inaccurate.

I actually have a marine lab kit I just need to sit down and read the literature to figure out how to use it. I totally agree that the strips are crap. If they are anything like the Ph strips I use at work they are a full 2 Ph off in either direction. All of the fish at this point are young and small. Body length under 2"except for the tang. Id like to trade them all in, get the tank to stasis and hopefully habitable for an anemone to host a pair of young clowns and that's it for a while.

By powerhead I'm assuming that you mean the jet that directs flow and current? I have one in the upper left corner of the tank where should another one be?

I would wait on the nem until youve had the tank set up a while. They are the pickiest thing you can put in a tank and they have the capacity to kill everything if they die. Clowns dont need a nem, they will happily host almost anything.

Oh and I added 5g of fresh water the day I got it because the salt levels were high. I added it 1 gallon at a time to the sump underneath giving it about 15 minutes in between gallons and checking the hydrometer each time.

Any sort of fast change, such as changing the salinity or temperature can shock the animals in your tank. The ocean hardly ever go under rapid changes and so our fish and corals dont do sudden changes well. Next time slowly drop the salinity.

Also if the fish are actually that small they might not make it anyways. Those fish get pretty big, so the small one have only really just come out of the larval phases and dont adjust very well to aquarium life when they are so small. They need so much food and a pretty constant delievery of food that our tanks cant provide, and they dont make it.

+1 little_fish. By slowly she means over the course of days/weeks. I would also rehome the fish until you can get the hang of things.

I know this is a lot to take in all at once but your salinity may not be as far off as you think. Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate, I had 2 at one point that were reading differently. When I got a refractometer I realized that both were wrong! I would spend the money on getting one in the near future.

You say you took over the tank. Did you move it? If so, can you tell us how it was done? Moving a tank can stir up LOTS of nasties. Everyone has you covered. If your will to do as advised, you will be fine. These are good folks and really do want to help!

Back