Ilyanassa Obsoleta

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Variko, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Variko

May 9, 2011
    As I was researching what my clean up crew will be I came across this little guy on They listed them as a bad species. They looked like what I let my 3yr old daughter hold from the bay at Long Beach Island 2 weekends ago. I researched futher and found out they were the same snails and they carry shistosomes. I vomitted in my mouth a bit, and I still feel sick about what could have happened. I'm not one to overreact, but I did when I saw the published rate of which these carry the parasite, and the fact that the most infected are the ones at the shoreline. I will be getting the suggested cleanup crew from reefcleaners (with hermits muhahahaha), and I may send them a thank you for the info. Wont be picking anything up Im not 100% sure about and handing it to my kid again. I thought they were a harmless nasser type snail. Any distributors that sell this snail as a cleaner I will not buy from.
    Variko, Jun 6, 2011
    Reef Nutz likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. cms722

Apr 10, 2011
    Hmm, never heard of em. Thanks for the heads up though!
    cms722, Jun 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements