Lighting

Karlah

Reefing newb
Hi again everyone,

Sorry if this topic has been done before. I tried to use the search bar, but I got that many results that I was overwhelmed. Also, if this thread would be better placed in the equipment section, just let me know.

Basically, my tank (35 gallon hex) has a crappy hood that can only accommodate one bulb. In addition, it doesn't give me the clearance that I often see being recommended.
I want to stay away from hanging pendants simply because I don't want the hassle/ destruction that comes with installing it. I don't mind units that are mounted on legs, and from what I've read, people seem to find these better for hex tanks. I like the moon/lunar lights, so ideally I would like to find a unit which includes daytime and night time settings. Given all of this, I keep coming across this in my searches:

Marineland Reef Bright LED Light Fixture (18-24 Inch)

Are these any good? I'm not sure exactly what I plan on keeping in the tank, but if these are extremely limiting, I will flat out by-pass them. As of right now though, it seems to be what I'm looking for, for a reasonable price......Which makes me think that it's too good to be true. If that's the case, any suggestions on other options would be greatly appreciated :)

with the marineland you cant put day and night on a timer it has to be manually selected, search for an odyssea 4 bulb light, around 60 bucks with bulbs and will keep you softies, lps and some sps corals. it has 3 plugs, actinic, 10k, and moonlights. i have one of these lights and have never been disapointed

If you are looking for a light to house all you can get a viper clamp on HQI, which is halide. For the price you are looking to spend.

Take a look at Beeguiles tank build thread, she has that unit (marineland reef capable, not the bright led light) on a tank about your size and has corals and nems.
I have the marineland reef capable as well, on a larger tank, and keep an lps and some easy corals, haven't tried anything more difficult.
Lots of different opinions on lighting around here, you'll need to figure out what you want to keep, what sort of coloration/effect you are looking for with lights. I.E. the leds and the Metal Halides give you that "shimmer/underwater" effect. But, some poo-poo some led units without trying them and some say the metal halides get too hot. Now, the T-5 will let you keep anything but I didn't personally like the florescent blah, since I sit under florescent lights all day. It really comes down to personal preference.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Sorry to drag this up again, but after doing more research, I would like to increase my budget to the 300$, or potentially 400$ range.

Soooooo.....Any more suggestions? I am still hoping to find an unit/system similar in appearance to the marineland, just because I like the way it looks on tanks like mine. I just want to rule out as many limitations as possible on what I can keep by getting a better light.

Thanks in advance :)

I have a Maxspect G2 - Great light so far, keeps acro's 160watt fixture, In Australia was 800, so I am not sure how much it is there.

Last edited:
Back