LR in 10G

cumminz

Reefing newb
OK Heres the deal. I have a spare 10 sitting in my room. Imtrying to seed some base rock. How much base rock do you think i could fit in there for best results? Should i fill it as full as i can, or go like a 2-1 ratio?

OK Heres the deal. I have a spare 10 sitting in my room. Imtrying to seed some base rock. How much base rock do you think i could fit in there for best results? Should i fill it as full as i can, or go like a 2-1 ratio?

I just cured some live rock recently and the ammonia went way too high even for the curing cycle and this was because I didn't have enough water in there (thx fatman). I think if you fill that 10G full with LR you could get the same situation. In other words, you need adequate water. If 10G isn't big enough just use a clean 5G drum form home depot.

Typical for a reef is 1--2lbs per gallon. Thats gonna be 10--20lbs for you.

If it's fish only, then maybe just 10--12lbs.

I think i didnt make myself clear. I have a 125g that i have no room for where i am living now. I have a 10g sitting in my room waiting for something. IM gonna put rock in it. THAT IS IT. well, plus a heater and powerhead. but i wanna save some cash for my 125 and not buy so much lr, but to seed my own. With that said, how much should i add, and should i also ad live sand?

You can just add the base rock to the tank after giving it a good cleaning. That is what I did. I cured some LR in my 10 gallon I put 25 pounds in it with a heater and powerhead. Took about 6 weeks before it was ready to add to my DT.

I wouldn't fill it any more than halfway up. With too little water, the ammonia and nitrite spikes will kill anything that was on the live rock.

ok kool/ i was thinking like 20-30 lbs, but wasnt sure. at 1.75 per lb. alot better then 7+. should i add purple up?

Purple Up won't hurt, but it doesn't always work. Some people see no difference when they use it, but I am one that saw huge differences when I tried it. Keep in mind, you will need some light if you want the coralline to grow, it won't take off in an unlit tank.

Just be prepared to change some of the water with new mixed water if the ammonia levels get too high. Put just a liitle live rock or live sand in with the base rock to speed the process. Feed the tank a little pinch of fish food every few days initially until you get a ammonia reading then back off to adding a little pinch every 4 or 5 days. Your cycle should only take a few weeks but you might want to continue feeding the rock until you add it to your new larger tank, the bacteria levels will continue to develop for quite some time as long as small amounts of food are being fed regularly.

Last edited:
Back