Majano question

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Pretty sure I've got a majano in my tank - came in on a rock that a piece of coral was glued to - but I'm not 100% positive. It doesn't look like the other majanos I had which were much tinier. If I touch this one quite a bit it does close up like a paly or zoa might and looks like a large zoa when its closed - do majanos have similar behavior? The other ones I had just retracted into the rock rather than closing up. Otherwise it looks like a very pretty purple and green polyp or majano. Would post pics but my phone is dead.

Last edited:
AWW COME ON FISHY!!! If it takes 5 hours for your phone to charge, then it's time for a new phone.:mrgreen:

If in doubt, wipe it out.
Normally a Majano will close up like that. Then you can see the main body of it. You should see green around the foot.

AWW COME ON FISHY!!! If it takes 5 hours for your phone to charge, then it's time for a new phone.:mrgreen:

HAHAHA! I like making you wait, kinda fun ;)

Seriously though, I posted earlier from work and didn't have my charger with me. Phone is charging now.... but of course the tank isn't here, so ya'll just have to wait till tomorrow :)

And I'm fairly certain it is a majano - can't see green at the base of the foot but it does have the characteristics bubble tipped lashes. They are really pretty when they are small like this, too bad they are such a pest. Promise to post pics in the morning!

Damn, I just wish these pests weren't so darn pretty - it makes it hard to kill them :(

And isn't that plate pretty! I picked it for $50 two weeks ago - the blue color on it is amazing - this photo doesn't do it any justice. There are also maroon lines that run through it that you can really see when it eats and puffs up its center or when you move it and it totally shrinks. Its my first plate and I love it! I have no idea what species it is, but I'm guessing just a regular fungia. Its probably 1.5-2" in diameter. I'll try to get some good pics of it with my regular camera one of these days :)

Back