Moving Fish Tank

delucs414

Reefing newb
Hey,

i have a simple question.

i currently have my fish tank in bedroom. i wanna repaint my room and put new carpeting in. for the time being im gonna move the tank into the hallway which is only 5 ft away. is there a way to move it that 5ft without transporting the tank into rubbermaid bins.

its a 40 gal tank with 10 gal sump.

also, do i have to worry about like paint fumes or anything like that.

thanks

I cant think of any way... your going to have to drain the water to move it, so that prolly means putting all of your rocks/corals/livestock in rubbermaids. you should be able to leave the substrate with a little bit of water in the bottom tho.

but lets see what the experts have to say :mrgreen:

Definantly remove the water. 50 gallons of water weighs 400 pounds. There is no way to move the tank without breaking it. Granted you dont have 50 total gallons of water, but you have rock and substrate which are denser than the water. So you whole set up probably weighs closer to 500 pounds. Go get a few rubbermaid containers and transfer the water, rocks, and livestock into them. Then you can put it all back in when you move the tank. Also, make sure you have a few buddies to help you move the tank.

yea i figured that i would have to put everything in a rubber maid, just didnt want to and wanted to see if anyone had any other alternatives.

thanks alot

Nope. Sorry. don't think so. Trying to do so will likely damage the tank/stand, etc... there's never any easy way to do anything, is there? :frustrat:

Back