My Filter

TegSail

Reefing newb
I just purchased a 125 gallon tank. Its not established so I am letting it cycle slowly. My filter is a Rena Filstar XP3. It's about 4 1/2 feet below the finished set up. I've noticed I can seem to get it to run properly, it makes a whirring noise but the water wont filter back into the aquarium. I'm not sure if it's my intake or my filter.

If anyone knows about these filters, their practicality for a reef tank, and how to troubleshoot them, i'd be most appreciative. The instructional video shows you how to put it together, followed that and no real fix at all.

your really not going to want that hooked up to your aquarium..
as you go along if the filter media isnt cleaned evry few days it will become a nitrate factory... I wouldnt throw it away though once and awhile you may need it to run some carbon or phosphate remover or something... your liverock and protein skimmer will take care of the filtering you will need...

sorry should have put in there also..
planning on a sump?? good idea to look into it now before you really get going..​

sorry should have put in there also..
planning on a sump?? good idea to look into it now before you really get going..​

I'm not really sure. I purchased this aquarium to start building it up slowly and then introduce my fish into it later on. I am new to the hobby, but I know that the larger the water volume, the easier it is to deal with issues. I decided to get this big tank as my ultimate setup...until i decided to spend even more money and time into this project.

I'm not really sure what I need for filtering though. If this one isn't good enough, then I would love a sump, but not sure how to build/acquire a sump either.

the main things you will need for filtering is a protein skimmer
Protein Skimmer, Protein Skimmers, Aquarium Marine Reef Foam Fractionators reef octopus is a real good one
the next will be liverock... rule of thumb is between 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon..if you are in no hurry to get it going you could do the dry rock route
Dry Rock ,alot of people like to go the liverock route to get alot of the hitchhikers that come with it..
dry rock will save you alot of money over buying all liverock... those will be the two main ingredients for filtering the tank....
as far as a sump goes diy yourself will save you alot of money also.. piping it isnt to big of a deal alot of people here can help every step along the way..

Last edited:
Ok, so protein skimmer before sump? Sump before layered filter? Then if all else fails use the filter?

I'm assuming it's not a big deal to run my filter right now while its cycling with nothing in it, until I can get a skimmer and sump. Skimmers for this size tank are more expensive than I want to spend right now since I am setting this up slowly. I was thinking of putting in my two clowns and some snails in a few days but still want to wait until its cycled more. For-see it being a major issue to add them even though I dont have a skimmer/sump?

Also, I have a 10 gallon tank sitting aound, could it make an ok sump for a 125g tank?

I'd say go bigger than 10g look on craigslist, get a cheap 30g or something. People just give them for free sometimes!

nope I dont think it will be in the short term .. just keep up on waterchanges and filter cleanings.. just get the liverock and skimmer in and you can go without the filter and slowly incorporate the sump...

I agree with waddi definately go bigger then 10 gal..
on my 150 I chose to go with sump with seperate refugium.. didnt like the thought of higher waterflow through my refugium... so I put in a 20 gal sump with a 40 gal refugium,, I have about 70gph going through the refugium with powerheads in it for water movement.. figured the longer the water stays in the refugium the more the chaeto can work on it..

If I didnt want a sump, what would be my second option?

Also, anyone know where to find a sump intruction manual sorta deal. I understand the idea, and I want to do a DIY one but cant seem to find any sort of comprehensive directions. Such as: if you want to build a 20g sump you will need this pump, that skimmer, X amount of feet of tube, and Connect A to B into slot C and presto its done.

If you don't want a sump, then your best option is to get a hang-on-back (HOB) protein skimmer. Protein skimmers are far superior to canister filters.

Back