New Skimmer = Microbubble Hell

jb61264

Reefing newb
I installed my new Remora skimmer this afternoon and I now have microbubbles freaking everywhere...not a happy camper at all. Even though I employ a baffle system in my fuge/sump, I have microbubbles
:mad!!:

Anybody have any "microbubble elimination" tricks up their sleeve?

Do you use any water conditioner or slime coat or aloe additives? If so, they will make the skimmer go crazy. And new skimmers often take several days to a couple weeks to begin working properly.

Not using any conditioners at all...I just finished reading the sheets that they provide and it does say that it takes up to a couple weeks for this to go away...I guess I just thought that with the baffles in place that it wouldn't be an issue...oh well...i'll just wait a couple weeks

On a positive note, my tank has cycled!!!:bounce:
I am having my TBS rock and sand shipped early next week :bounce::bounce:

I wrote the owner of TBS yesterday letting him know my tank was ready and I loved his reply...."I'll be going out for a dive to collect your rock in the next couple days when weather permits"....this guy has THE life...going out to scuba dive in the keys and the gulf to collect rock....man, where did I go wrong ;)

You mean the bubbles are traveling from your sump up to the DT even though you have baffles setup in your sump? Do you have baffles on both side of the sump or just one?

You mean the bubbles are traveling from your sump up to the DT even though you have baffles setup in your sump? Do you have baffles on both side of the sump or just one?
Yes, the bubbles are traveling from my sump to my DT....I have the first chamber where my skimmer sits, then three baffle plates...then my fuge area, then my sump where the return pump sits. It's only a 20 gallon tank that I converted so there isn't alot of "run" from one end to the other but still, I'm suprised I'm getting the microbubbles.

The manual for the Remora says they will go away in a few days...we'll see

i got the preskimmer for the remora and it works great. Mine is a HOB though and not in fuge. Also the directions state that it may take up to 2 weeks for the remora to prime and build up a slime coat on the inside that helps reduce the microbubbles.

My remora pro took about 2 weeks to stop producing microbubbles. Actually stop is a strong word.....cut down is better. There are still some, but not much and I'm running HOB with no preskimmer

Back