newb general questions

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
hello everyone, i have decided to take the plunge into setting up a reef tank

i was going to start out with a 55 gallon tank but after much reading decided to go with a 90 gallon it is predrilled in the corner and the retailer is calling it a reef ready tank

i am in the process of building my stand as it is cheaper and it will be better built than the ones i have seen for sale so that is where i am so far

questions...

i have been looking at the fluval fx5 cannister filter any thoughts on that??

it seems like a sump system may be easier in the long run but im having some issues grasping the mechanics of it.

i have seen cured live rock on ebay for about 4-5 dollars a pound delivered has anybody had bad experiences going that rout??

i have purchased a fission power protein skimmer rated for a 210 gallon tank, hopefully this will do the job and hopefully is a good brand.

anyway thats where i am any advice at this point in the game would be really helpfull

thanks

on your LR question dont by cured rock until your tank has cycled. buy some uncured rock and put it in your tank when you start the cycling process so that it will cycle your tank and your rock will cure in the same amount of time. also go with the general rule on live rock, 1-2lbs per gallon.

hello everyone, i have decided to take the plunge into setting up a reef tank
Good choice
i was going to start out with a 55 gallon tank but after much reading decided to go with a 90 gallon it is predrilled in the corner and the retailer is calling it a reef ready tank
Another good choice
i am in the process of building my stand as it is cheaper and it will be better built than the ones i have seen for sale so that is where i am so far

questions...

i have been looking at the fluval fx5 cannister filter any thoughts on that??
don't get it, see answer below
it seems like a sump system may be easier in the long run but im having some issues grasping the mechanics of it.
i would say set up a sump/refugium, the sump will hold your protein skimmer, filter media,heater, to clean up the display. if you have a refugium in it also it will act as a bio-filter. A refugium consist of chaeto or another macro algae, live rock rubble, and a deep sandbed or miracle mud. Since your want is reef ready all you really have to do is to plumb the tank to your sump and then have a pump there to pump it back into the display tank. I'm not sure of some good sites for you to read but you can always ask any questions you have here or msg me.
have seen cured live rock on ebay for about 4-5 dollars a pound delivered has anybody had bad experiences going that rout??
If I were you I would purchase from a online reef store. Look at www.liveaquaria.com, or some other site you can find that price there. If you have any lfs around you you might want to check there first because then you can pick what you want(but pay more usually). There buy your live rock. It you want to save some money (I'm sure you do) go to marcorocks.com and order some dry rock, this you eventually become live rock and will save you quite a bit of money just for being pacient! They have some great rock.
i have purchased a fission power protein skimmer rated for a 210 gallon tank, hopefully this will do the job and hopefully is a good brand.
No sure, someone else will have to chime in, I do know that you did the right thing in getting a skimmer for alot bigger tank.
anyway thats where i am any advice at this point in the game would be really helpfull

thanks

Any more just ask, I'm sure you will have more. Also I would ask questions about anything your thinking about buying here before you do. Remember, be patient!

Matt

If this is reef ready tank then you have no choice but to set up a sump.Consider incorporating a refugium for nutrient export.Since you will be setting up a sump and possible refugium then skip the canister all together.

Sorry,I'm not familiar with Fission skimmer and buying live rock from Ebay.I've use Saltycritter.com and Liveaquaria.com for live rock.Both have very good live rock.

Freak is right, reef ready tanks have holes drilled in the bottom already to go to your sump. So congrats on the new sump!!! :D

Sumps are pretty easy to understand. Water flows through the holes in the bottom of the display tank to a second tank hidden in the stand beneath the display tank. In this second tank (sump) you'll keep all your equipment except for powerheads (which are still needed in the main tank for flow). Then you have a pump that will shoot the water back up to the main tank. It's plumbed using PVC or vinyl tubing. You'll have to buy a return pump to get the water back to the display tank.

You should skip the canister filter. They can often lead to nitrate problems if not cleaned regularly (weekly). If you have a protein skimmer and 1 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon, you'll be set for filtration.

I'd also skip Ebay for buying live rock, you don't really know what you're going to get. I've gotten live rock off of www.liveaquaria.com before and it's been good stuff.

welcome to the reef this place is just as addictive as our hobby. think about some power heads to go in the tank for added flow.

awesome advice

thank you everyone

ok, on the sump a sump has a chamber on the right, on the left and in the middle, can the refugium be set up in the middle chamber? or is it a completely seperate part of the sump system?

also where does the skimmer go? in the middle chamber or on the water out side?

this also looks like something i can make fairly easily (as well as buy) so if i decde to mke one how do you know what size to make the sump??

yes three chamber with the refugium in the middle, look at the DIY section and you should find some good designs. Buy the biggest tank that will fit in your stand for your sump, this adds water volume and will make your tank much more stable. You skimmer goes on the right or left depending on the design.

thank you all for your responses
there is so much information to take in its insane
i downloaded some good pics of other peoples sumps/refugiums and will continue my research
i think i will concentrate on getting my stand done in the meantime

i guess my next two things are going to be lighting, and heating so any suggestions on quality products would be great, i find its cheaper to buy things once than to try to save a few bucks on junk

For a 90 gallon tank, you should probably get two smaller heaters, rather than one big one. That way, if one fails, you'll have a back up still working. Heaters are hit or miss, it's hard to find a good brand. The internal thermostats aren't accurate in a lot of them, so don't automatically trust whatever the heater is telling you.

For a 90 gallon tank for lights, you have 2 options: T5 or metal halide. Which one you should go with depends on the depth of your tank and your budget. How deep is your tank?

It depends what you want to grow. There are a lot of great lighting systems I use coral life light power compacts but this is only good for soft corals, leathers, and LPS. So it depends.

Welcome to the addiction.
No matter what size tank you have,it always a safer bet to use 2 smaller heaters than one big one.By using 2,if one happens to stick on(happens more than you think)hopefully it wont cook your tank.
On the lights.Decide on what kind of tank you want,then decide on the lights.
I personally like T-5s,but a lot of people had rather run metal halides over a 90.

my tank is 48" x 18" x 24" deep

i think i will stay away from the metal halides for now based on cost and my inexperience

i plan on going full out reef from the get go (slowly of course)

but my plan is to start out with beginner friendly corals/fish/ and inverts and i will add them according to whatever is the best order to add them

i will progress to more delicate things as my experience grows

by the way this is a great site and so far the members are equally as informative and friendly

Because you don't want go with MH,look into a T5=HO fixture with at least six banks of bulbs and individual reflectors.Price varies but expect prices $350 and up.

Back