newbie-LED setup question

rbl1979

Reefing newb
Hey Everyone, I am still planning my new upgrade and we have pretty much decided on a 120 gallon tank, 72"x18"x24" about. Now my question on lighting is we are very much looking at LED lighting but we also want to have a wide variety of corals, hard and soft maybe even a clam and such.

Do the LED lighting systems out there provide enough lighting for me to have these even if I have to get 4-5 panels or should I also install some halogens or metal halides with the LED?

I have been through other threads and have looked up many different and I think I will probably be getting the AI Sol lighting modules. However I haven't really seen any reviews on how they work for the hard corals and clams, has anyone had good results with that sort of growth

I have 3 of the AI sol units over my 180 (72x24x24) and I have hard and soft corals as well as a clam - no issues for me. I actually saw a marked increase in growth of a few of my corals after upgrading from MH/T5 to LED

Search for Operation Nemo and you'll find my build thread, you'll see photos of the Sol Super Blue's over my 180 there. If there is something in particular you want to see let me know, I can use the manual mode to set in all kinds of color hues from totally blue to totally white

Hey Northstar24, love the tank set up looks really good, I see that your lighting is quite a bit higher then I originally thought it would be. I will be doing a canopy on mine once I get the go ahead (damn honey do list) so mine will be closer to the water but will have the same idea. Good Job.

I have the AI Sol Super Blues. If you're going to run 3 of the units, you need them about a foot above the water (mine are about 13 inches off the water) to get enough coverage from them to light the tank. If you don't have that kind of height above your tank, you'll need more modules

Excellent advice Northstar I will make it happen with my design, Tips like how high and stuff are what makes these forums so helpful. Thank you again

Has anyone taken the chance on the lighting systems from Hong Kong, I have bought a lot of other stuff from Hong Kong and had excellent results. Has anyone tried them?

AI dropped the price on the Sol units because they have a product coded 'phoenix' that is coming out to compete with the new EcoTech marine fixtures

From what I have seen of the cheap Chinese knock offs I'd stay away, especially now that the AI units are only $399.- spend a little more and get something that isn't suspect

Back