Next question: lack of critters

bk6662

Reefing newb
Ok last time I set up a reef tank (back in "the day"!) I was pleasantly surprised by the copepods, starfish, feather dusters, and other life that showed up during and towards the end of my tank cycle. This time - not so much. Actually haven't seen a thing, even though this time I used LOTS more live sand, and live rock. My first reef tank was a 6 gallon nano, so I used very little rock and sand, This time I thought I would be amazed by the creatures - but not so much as a worm. (Unless my "aging" eyes just don't see them any more - that's a distinct possibility!)

Should I be concerned? Water chemistry looks good (0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, <10 Nitrate). Or maybe they just have lots of more places to hide? I'm thinking my "live" rock wasn't quite so alive. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Bk

How old is the tank and is it the 60g? What fish do you have in there? In my old 45g, I saw no pods...but when one of my fish died, all of a sudden, all these pods were crawling all over my glass. It was crazy. Apparently, they were all in hiding when there was a fish in there....now that there were were no fish eating them, them came out en masse. Try checking it a couple of hours after lights out, and shine a light in there.

How old is the tank and is it the 60g? What fish do you have in there? In my old 45g, I saw no pods...but when one of my fish died, all of a sudden, all these pods were crawling all over my glass. It was crazy. Apparently, they were all in hiding when there was a fish in there....now that there were were no fish eating them, them came out en masse. Try checking it a couple of hours after lights out, and shine a light in there.

So far I've only added the first few cleanup-crew inhabitants - no fish yet. The tank has been running for less than a month. Also I should add - this time I've seen *much* more die-off on my liverock than I've experienced in the past. I'm guessing the rock wasn't well cared for - but I may be wrong. (no discernable ammonia spikes though).

You might have had a major die off of the microfauna when you cycled, but a few should have survived and given time should repopulate. However, not all live rock comes loaded with hitchhikers, so there might not be anything in there anyways.

Back