Ok to cycle tank with leftover turkey?

bk6662

Reefing newb
Ok kidding (you have to admit it could be interesting!) I do have a cycling question though.

Started my tank up about a week ago, after recovering from a leak in my tank (60 gallon cube) that put a wrench in the works. Have about 4 inches of live sand, and about 35 pounds of live rock. Measured about a .5 ammonia, .5 Nitrate, but 0 Nitrite. Am I already on my way into the cycle?

I've been doing lots of research, but have some confusion about Nitrate level. Some say that when the Nitrate level goes to 0, then my cycle is "complete" (or more correctly - cycle has been established). But others say to do a water change, to bring the nitrate level down. My understanding is that the nitrate level won't go down naturally; it can only be accomplished by a water change. So with this in mind, how will I actually know when I can start adding my cleanup monsters?

And to get back to the title; I am thinking about throwing in a couple shrimp, to make sure it is cycling properly (since I didn't see much change in ammonia / nitrite / nitrate). Do you think that is a good idea?

Thanks!
-BK

I would say its a good idea to toss in an uncooked shrimp to make sure you get a good spike in ammonia.

And you are right, only water changes will get rid of nitrates. But the ammonia cycle goes from ammonia to nitrite then to nitrates. So when the nitrites go to zero, your cycle is complete, and then its safe to add your CUC and first fish!

On another note, you want to make sure you have 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon, so you might need to up your total amount of rock. You can add dry rock (it will become live in no time!) which is much cheaper

Thank you Little-Fish - appreciate your assessment that I'm on the right track! As far as the rock - my cube tank is roughly 24X24x24. So I don't have much floor space for rock (live or otherwise!) So with the 50 pounds I have (35 live plus another 15 base), I want to make sure my future inhabitants have some room to spread their fins!! :) Do you still think I should try to squeeze in some more?

The bacteria living on the rock is the most important source of filtration in our tank, so its important to have enough rock.

Also having enough hiding places for each fish is also important, it also gives them more space to establish territories, so they fight less. Not too many of the fish we have a true open swimmers anyways, and all the ones I can think of arent suitable for 24 in long tank.

+1 Little Fish, I would also recommend a smaller sand bed, 1-2 inches. 4 inches may get you nitrate bubbles and at that depth it does not do enough for bacteria levels and denitrification.

I had a 4 inch sand bed and soon got rid of it!

+2 fish and josh....nitrates only go away with water changes (or if you have a nitrate scrubber or a fuge w/ algae).

A deep sand bed will only be beneficial if it's I think at LEAST 5". Anything less is counter productive, and would cause more nitrate issues than anything.

Trust me on this, deep sand bed in your DT is not only useless, but is also dangerous! Move a rock and you can see a nitrate explosion, I had a deep sandbed in my fuge and that was great, because it wasnt stirred up all the time!

Oh my gosh, hilarious thread title! I needed a laugh this morning. Thanks for that!
What are your stocking plans? Cubes are so interesting/challenging.

Ok kidding (you have to admit it could be interesting!) I do have a cycling question though.

Started my tank up about a week ago, after recovering from a leak in my tank (60 gallon cube) that put a wrench in the works. Have about 4 inches of live sand, and about 35 pounds of live rock. Measured about a .5 ammonia, .5 Nitrate, but 0 Nitrite. Am I already on my way into the cycle?

I've been doing lots of research, but have some confusion about Nitrate level. Some say that when the Nitrate level goes to 0, then my cycle is "complete" (or more correctly - cycle has been established). But others say to do a water change, to bring the nitrate level down. My understanding is that the nitrate level won't go down naturally; it can only be accomplished by a water change. So with this in mind, how will I actually know when I can start adding my cleanup monsters?

And to get back to the title; I am thinking about throwing in a couple shrimp, to make sure it is cycling properly (since I didn't see much change in ammonia / nitrite / nitrate). Do you think that is a good idea?

Thanks!
-BK

Yeah sure. Throw some stuffing, gravy and mashed potatoes in there too.

Oh my gosh, hilarious thread title! I needed a laugh this morning. Thanks for that!
What are your stocking plans? Cubes are so interesting/challenging.

I'm glad somebody saw the humor! I haven't really decided what I'm going to stock it with yet - hopefully can find something pretty enough that my wife will let me keep it! :) Was hoping for a Regal Tang, but have learned since that my cubie won't support it. Any suggestions?

I have a 6-bulb T5 setup - I think I'll be able to keep a decent assortment of colorful corals. Will definitely start with "beginner" types, until I get my feet wet.

As far as the sand bed - found out I was wrong. It's 2" max. (The LFS told me I needed a 4" bed, and that 4 bags of Live Sand would do it. Fortunately it looks like they were wrong!)

A 60 cube is a tough one to stock, I'd personally say that pretty much any kind of tang is not going to do well in a 60 cube long term. That being said, I'd take a look at wrasses, there are all kinds of awesome ones that would do well in a 60 cube. My personal favorite is the Leopard Wrasse, but I would start with an easier fish and give your tank some time to settle in before trying one of those.

With a 6 bulb T5 setup, you'll be able to keep whatever you want coral wise

Back