Opinions Please - Cleaner Crew

jb61264

Reefing newb
Considering investing in this for a cleaner crew...is anything in this "package" detrimental to having corals? Are there better options? I have a lawnmower blenny so far...he will be one week in the tank on Tuesday...eating and pooping machine that one is :) but need to get a little more "algae" and "waste" control going on.

The only thing I don't care for on the list are hermit crabs. They'll kill snails for their shells. Even when you have plenty of empty ones in the tank for them. Also they'll climb all over corals. Some don't mind but others do.

that is a good package but if you already have some of those in your tank I would just add a cucumber. I have a black tuxed cucumber in my tank for over a year now. I am now looking for a sea hare to add.

I agree with Piggy on this one. Unlike Kimoy, I hate cucumbers. They bury themselves in the sand and I had one die in my tank, and because it was buried, I couldn't find and remove the body, and my nitrates spiked to 150!

everyone is so against hermits. My blue legs are so tiny compared to my snails. I never see them even pay attention to the snails. I guess if they grow a little and need a shell they may get a little more threatening.

I think I'll just be ordering 3-4 mexican turbos, 5-6 nassarius, and 5-6 astrea snails...with a 40 gal breeder do you think that will be good for now?

Back