Over flow Question

Nevek

Reefing newb
Is it possible if I don't like how an overflow box looks like, to just have my holes drilled in my aquarium with a plastic mesh..well maybe not mesh, think of the drain in a below ground pool or those things that hold urinal cakes,but scale it down to about 3inch diameter, would that work? or do you 100% need one? just wondering, I don't really like the way they look.

I think Keven is wanting to drill his tank and construct his own overflow skimmer piece instead of using a pre-made one. Not the traditional overflow but something different. I don't know why?

I am using one of those vertical intake skimmers listed on the FlexPVC site. It's the cone-shaped intake strainer with threads. I bought a bulk head that was threaded inside the tank. With my overflow box, this little strainer slips right down in the box and screws into the bulk head. There's just enough room in the overflow box to get the strainer on and off for cleaning. If my hands weren't so big it would be easier.

Hmm how to describe it better..

ok no overflow box at all, you have your holes you have your over flow pipe, just need to put something over the holes so fish and what not don't end up in your sump.the water would rise to maybe 1/2 your hole diameter into the sump. where as an over flow box the holes are lower into the box as water fills it then drains correct?

I think the box being on the wall would make it look less neat?

I'm thinking what I was going to do won't work anyway, you'd need to drill your holes too close to the top of the tank.

Yeah, that's the problem. Even if the hole is only 3" below the top of the tank - that's a ton of water that has to drain out before it stops. Hope you got a MASSIVE sump. :mrgreen:

The overflow box keeps the water level in the tank about 3/4" below the top rim. When you turn the pumps off or lose power - the tank only drains down until the water level is below the overflow teeth. No mess on the floor.

Alright no worries, thank you for answering my questions.

when you install your own ovoerflow I'm guessing you buy a kit?

any suggestions on brands?

I have a friend who did what you mean. He has a bulkhead fitting drilled into the back side of his tank. On the inside of the tank is a simple pvc elbow then a strainer, cone shaped. That is how he skims. He can also pivot the elbow for water level adjustments. Its pretty foolproof. Just as safe as any other bulhead fitting in the tank...He has many tanks set up like that.

Hmm how to describe it better..

ok no overflow box at all, you have your holes you have your over flow pipe, just need to put something over the holes so fish and what not don't end up in your sump.the water would rise to maybe 1/2 your hole diameter into the sump. where as an over flow box the holes are lower into the box as water fills it then drains correct?

I think the box being on the wall would make it look less neat?

I'm thinking what I was going to do won't work anyway, you'd need to drill your holes too close to the top of the tank.

You need to drill your hole 1 1/2 hole size from any edge. So a 1" hole needs to be drilled 1 1/2 inches from any edge of glass.

Back