refuge light

badcop804

Reefing newb
ok, by now everyone knows that I doing a lot of work on my tank. I am putting together a sump/refuge and need to know how much light I need for the green stuff I'm going to put in. My fish guy says to use my old VHO lights for the refuge, but those ligths are 220 watts. My electric bill is already high enough. I was thinking I could get away with using one those screw in CFL bulbs. It says it is 4100k. What do I really need? does the green stuff in the refuge need a lot of light?

Chaeto,in particular doesn't need much light all.Caulerpa and other may need a little more but not much.The screw in CF bulb should be plenty.

thats a good question i and seting up a sump/refuge and i was wondering the same thing. that cool cuz i have an old sock on a wire that i can use. sweet

we bought just a plain flourescent aquarium light for a 10 gallon on clearance. It has worked really well and everything grows fine. I think you can use pretty much any light.

I have the same light as Ladypheesh over my fuge. It's a plain old single fluorescent bulb that comes in one of those strip hoods for a 10 gallon tank. I have chaeto and caulerpa. Both grow like crazy.

During the day,my refugium gets sunlight.After sunset I got a little 18 watt corallife PC sitting on top of some eggcrete.

Back