sad frogspawn coral

lumpy

Reefing newb
I picked up a frogspawn at my LFS about 2 weeks ago. Set it at about midway down the tank in Low to Medium Flow. It seamed to do fine for a few days/ opening and closing. Then it closed up and it looks like the foot has been pulling back towards the tenticles. Under the actinics the foot looks kind of brown. The tenticles still have great color but I'm gussing this means the coral is dieing. Is that correct?

I've moved it to an area with little to no flow. My water parameters have been good (0 Amonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, 8 PH). I haven't seen anything in the tank bothering it and there was plenty of space between it and any other corals so I'm not sure what happened.

Is it salvageable?

Could be brown jelly disease. We had a white tip torch, it closed up and there was brown slimy looking stuff around its base. Had to throw it out. Do you have a picture?

Not on me at the moment. I'm on lunch at work. I can try and snap one tonight. Although I'm playing with the idea of taking back to the LFS for diagnosis.

Gotcha. I would give it a few days. If it's a brown, jelly like substance that's covering the base and it's taking over the coral, you'll most likely have to throw it out.

If the tentacles have great color I'd just wait a bit. These thing shrivel and wither to the point of looking dead sometimes when they're mad about something, but that doesn't mean they're on their way out. Might just hate the placement and lighting.

I had a frogspawn that would do some crazy stuff, including shrivel up for a day or two. Like others said no foot on a frogspawn, is the skeleton getting a little brown algae on it? I would bring a picture of it back to the LFS, not necessarily the whole coral. I can hear them telling you something like well you stressed it out by bringing it here so of course its going to stay sucked in...

So I was watching the tank last night and saw this little red dot running around on my hammer coral. AH HA!!!!

Flat worm.

Took it out and dipped it. I'm seriously wondering if that was the issue with the frogspawn. My LFS has it in one of their tanks right now trying to revive it. The closest one to me is a family owned place. So they're really cool about stuff. The two other places near by are not family owned and I could see them telling me that.

Back