Setting up a 40g sump

gwendolyn

Reefing newb
I am setting up a 75g tank. I have bought a 40 g sump from a friend. I am looking for recommendations on filtration systems. I am thinking of a filter sock on the inlet pipe, followed by protein skimmer in the 1st section. I was going to put the return pump in the middle and a refugium on the far side. I have 70lbs of live rock to put in the tank. Will this allow me to keep some lps and sps corals as well as fish? Should I add a powerfilter somewhere in tne system? What about boiballs and activated charcoal? I am just so confused .........

Hello and Welcome!

I would put the return in the far section and put the fuge in the middle. Other than that, I think you have a good plan. I would skip the powerfilter, bioball and charcoal. The activated carbon can be good in a pinch, but I dont recommend running it all the time.

What sort of lights you will determine what kind of corals you can keep, but having good water quality (which a sump help provides) makes it easier to keep some of the more difficult corals.

+1 little fish. As far as having a sock on the inlet, you can but it isn't necessary. It catches too many pods IMO. I don't use one anymore. Just live rock, good flow in the tank and a good skimmer for me :)

My sump is sockless, skimmer, fuge (live rock and cheato), bubble trap, return. I am a odd ball because I like powerfilters. I run one all the time on the display. I like that it gives me a nice ripple on the water and it is cheap additional flow. I run carbon occasionally to keep the water nice and clear and to prevent a fishy smell in the house. If you do decide to have a powerfilter on your tank get rid of any of the bio stuff in it. I wouldnt do a bio wheel its just more money for something you will remove anyway. Mine is a tetra unit from walmart cheap and easy to take carbon in and out of. That is what works for me very simple and easy to maintain. :twocents:

I picked up the sump today. The first section is empty, but the middle section is divided into two lower sections. The third section is also empty. The bottom is mesh over two pcp pipes. How do I set this up? I think that the skimmer in the 1st and the return in the last- but can I put a fuge in the middle with the dividers?

A picture would help but it sounds like that is what the middle is designed for. I guess they wanted what ever live rock in there to have flow under it. Not really sure why but wouldnt hurt.

theres a pretty good set of videos on different sump set ups in this site.

Aqueon #

The upper and lower section in the middle section may be for a wet/dry set up where the media sits on the top section. Wouldn't recommend that.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the sump. 005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

011.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

They just added eggcrate (light diffuser) to keep the rock off the bottom. I dont think this is any problem. To be honest I kinda like it...will make it where you dont get any dead spot in the sump. Skimmer in the input section, live rock and cheato in the middle and then the return in the last. Same as mine and 99% of the people on here.

Back