Simplifying my Tank

BigH55

I'm that guy
Ive decided to simplify my reef tank. By doing this, I installed a fuge and removed the ozone from my tank. I have to say that the quality of my tank looks like it has really improved. My skimmer is now oulling out a great amount of gunk and the fuge algae seems to really be growing well. I do have it for emergencies, such as a cyano outbreak or something, but I dont think I will be using it on a full time basis anymore. While it did serve its purpose when the tank was newer, I feel that now that my tank has matured, it really isn't necessary to have on it. Im sure it helps to that i added about 50#'s more of live rock to the system also.

Glad to hear it BigH.High dollar equipment is great to have,but the K.I.S.S. method will do exactly what all that equipment will do for a lot less money.:D

So you don't think the ozone thingy does anything anymore? Just wondering about those machines. Read about them, but never seen them. Were you happy with it when you were still using it? I read it removes a lot of the yellow tint in the water?

I have used Ozone before too and I really think that water changes can accomplish the same good that they do, but obviously additional good at the same time. I think you did the right thing. Stick to your water changes and your tank will be great!

Thanks, The ozone worked well and my water clarity was great. I think it was eliminating some beneficial stuff out of my water though. Im keeping it for emergencies, such as HA outbeaks or cyano, but in all my fuge and added LR is doing the trick. It was only a 50mg/hr unit but it worked, especially when my tank was new. My vote is: :Larger bioload and heavy feeder= Use one, other than that do you water changes and quit being lazy.

You have to be careful with ozone because it can be toxic in larger quanities. I injected mine directly into my skimmer and it worked well. Never got sick from it. Also, you need to monitor your ORP if you use it. If not you could poison your whole tank.

You have to be careful with ozone because it can be toxic in larger quanities. I injected mine directly into my skimmer and it worked well. Never got sick from it. Also, you need to monitor your ORP if you use it. If not you could poison your whole tank.

Sounds tricky.

I run ozone on my 850 reef and love it. It helps with clarity (which helps light get to corals that are deeper in the tank) it does kill single celled organisms such as floating algae and parasites. Ozone will also improve your skimmers performance.

As long as you have a controller to read your orp you will be fine. It just needs monitored. I will have one on all of my larger systems eventually.

I run ozone on my 850 reef and love it. It helps with clarity (which helps light get to corals that are deeper in the tank) it does kill single celled organisms such as floating algae and parasites. Ozone will also improve your skimmers performance.

As long as you have a controller to read your orp you will be fine. It just needs monitored. I will have one on all of my larger systems eventually.

Winy do you also run a UV light?

Back