Skimmer Recommendations

jb61264

Reefing newb
OK...I need new/another skimmer for my 40g with 20g sump/fuge. I have an in-the-sump skimmer that is creating foam and has removed some gunk but I just don't get the feeling that it is very efficient and removing everything I need it to...I'm going to leave that skimmer there, but I want to add another...I have some space behind my tank and would like to try something that sits out of the sump.

Here's one I'm looking at:
Aquarium Protein Skimmers: Terminator II Protein Skimmer

Any other recommendations for a reasonably priced skimmer that could sit outside of my sump?

I've been looking at that the Coralife Super Skimmer too...thanks.
Since you have experience with this skimmer, can you tell me what the "extra" stuff in the F&S picture is?...for example, in this picture (Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer) there is a tube behind the pump that has some flexible/bendable tube that runs into a box of some sort...what is all that stuff?

The Coralife Super Skimmer is a good one, as are the Octopus brand skimmers. The Aqua C Remora Pro is also a good hang on back skimmer.

That box with the hose running into it is a bubble diffuser. Its just got some filter pad media type of stuff that is supposed to trap bubbles from returning. I would just get a good overkill skimmer like the 125 gallon tank one and run it in your sump. If your running an in sufficient skimmer down there I would just ditch it and put a good one down there. It makes the tank look so much better with out stuff hanging on the tank. Just my 2 cents. The 125 gallon super skimmer is what I use, once its broken in and if you clean it properly it works great.

Anybody have any experience with the AquaC Remora HOB skimmer?...based on my limited amount of available space under my stand, I'm thinking this design will hang perfectly on the side of my sump....otherwise I'm going to need to look at spending a lot more money for an external skimmer. I left plenty of room behind my stand (9") so if need be I can get an external one and pvc pipe it to my sump for a "custom" fit.

I used that one on my 55 gallon tank and it worked great.
My skimmer looks like it is working but I just don't see the skimmate ever overflow the inner tube into the collection cup and then to my overflow. Here is what it looks like usually (although now all the stuff on the sides of the inner tube is a brown muck)...it foams good but just never pushes stuff over the top.

I think the Aqua C Remora will slide right on the front where the current skimmer is (and between the inner wall of my tank stand)

P1010173.jpg

Back