To catch a fish!

KevinMs

Reefing newb
I have 2 yellow tail damsels that I suspect are making life miserable for a few of my other fish. I've tried netting them but within 3 minutes i realized that was futile. Fast and cautious, no netting those two devils. Soon as the net hits the water, they hide in the rocks. My next thought is to purchase a fish trap but before I do, I wanted to know if anyone can lay some wisdom on me for a better way to catch these two trouble makers.

Come on man you are letting us southerners down by not being able to catch a fish. So who caught the bass you are holding in your pic?:mrgreen: Seriously though, short of taking all your rock out a trap is probably your best bet. Unless you can catch them out with moonlights on and sneak up them. There have been some that have used a very small hook and clipped the barb off. Good luck!

Here's a great video about catching fish in the tank :)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xbUEqv5Zqs]Catching my 6 Line Wrasse - YouTube[/ame]

Take a 2 L bottle of Soda, Cut the top of it off, and attach strings too the bottom part of it, then slide the top piece back into the bottle so that once the fish swim in, they only have a small hole to get back out. Throw a little bit of food in there, once they realize there is nice food in there, you should be able to pull the strings out and they will try to escape by swimming down. Should do the trick, good luck!

I was thinking a fishing pole and some worms :) lol

Good Luck. In the past long ago, I would put the net in the tank and let it sit there for awhile. Let them get used to seeing that GREEN BEAST, then when you see them out for awhile and ignoring it, slowly move it to catch them in a corner. Damsels are friggin quick or so I remember from 20 years ago when I had first tank. Good luck with your fishing.

Take a 2 L bottle of Soda, Cut the top of it off, and attach strings too the bottom part of it, then slide the top piece back into the bottle so that once the fish swim in, they only have a small hole to get back out. Throw a little bit of food in there, once they realize there is nice food in there, you should be able to pull the strings out and they will try to escape by swimming down. Should do the trick, good luck!

I tried one trap and it didn't work. Filled my 29 with half dozen traps as above and caught a blue damsel --and they are hard to catch!

Its hard to see here but the top is cut off, invert and shoved back into the bottle.

WrasseCaught.jpg

Its hard to see here but the top is cut off, invert and shoved back into the bottle.

WrasseCaught.jpg
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ <-- This way usually works pretty well, although you can attach strings too the bottom of it and have it sitting right-side-up this way once you have them in there, and you pull the strings, they instinctively try and swim down. Swimming up and out the hole doesn't usually cross their minds.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Think i am going to give the 2 liter trick a try and see how it works out. I've certainly learned my lesson about these vicious little beast.

Back