using different kind of rock

jakenerica3910

Reefing newb
We are setting up a 125 and instead of buying a bunch of live rock to fill it we were wondering if we could use rock from our local reservoir. we have 6 reservoirs and each has lots of big rocks. would it be safe to use this rock or would it be bad for a salt water aquarium?

I would say that would not be a very good idea. you not only are not going to have any of the beneficial bacteria It is altogether a completely different substance. I am sure somebody more knowledgeable than me will chime in shortly.but if it were me no way

You want rock that is going to be porous and agronite (sp?) based, like the reef itself. It will help keep your pH, calcium and other minerals in line as it slowly dissolves.

But you dont have to buy all live rock, you can get dry base rock - which is MUCH cheaper. Just a few pieces of live rock will turn all the base rock live in a few weeks and in a few months you wont be able to tell which stuff was live and what wasnt.

The best place IMO to get dry rock is: Under Construction

They have great prices and great customer service.

thank you i will have to check that website out when it isn't under constuction. :) the rock we have from the reservoir is porous but im not sure the geology of the rock. i really dont think its agronite based.

Dont use rock from a fresh water source in your salt water tank.Metals and other such nasties in the rock,that may not be problem in fresh water can wipe out a reef tank.

I went with 100 Lbs of base rock from marco for my 75 gallon and seeded with one piece i picked up from the LFS. The rock was great with lots of big pieces. You are going to save some weight buying it dry because there is no water weight. As for the lake rock i wouldnt use it.

Back