Utah rock and Sand

I don't know about the Utah rock, but here's one thread where Biffer had some suggestions.

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/newbies-to-reefing/13377-begining-reefing-2.html.

They include:
www.tampabaysaltwater.com
w
ww.saltycritter.com
www.liveaquaria.com.

I purchased dry rock from Marco Rocks (www.marcorocks.com). I was real happy with it, but you might want to review the thread under Vendor Evaluations. The shipping times seem to have been slow in recent months. Newbreefer waited a long time but reported that he really liked the product once it arrived (his comments are in the Marco Rock review).

Hope this helps.

i know i can harvest utah rock for the only cost of a little hike up a hill.....i will check those out though thnx

Oh, sorry ... I didn't realize you were looking to actually get it out of the ground. Interesting. Let us know how that goes.

Went and got some today. I got a 100lb rock and about 100 lbs of smaller ones. I also got about 100 lbs of sand. Cost me 20 bucks in gas. I live in Utah, which used to be a giant saltwater ocean-type thing. Everything is the same stuff u get fron the ocean, just is dried.

Very cool! $20 in gas is a huge savings. Just to emphasize what Ryan said, make sure you test it with vinegar. The rock should fizz when you put vinegar on it.

When one says effervesces does another think of Alka Seltzer or just fizzing. If you want to take the test even further heat up the vinegar and add it to some of the rock powder. It should be soft enough that you can scrape powder off of it readily. Used a fair quantity as vinegar is a diluted acid. The amount that is left over (does not dissolve) is the amount that is not calcium carbonate. Meaning basically the amount that is probably silicate.

Back