water test kit question

surferido

funky buttlovin
i tested my water about an hour ago and everything was good except the nitrates which it said i had 20-25ppm...i called my lfs and they said they test my water and i have been battling the nitrates for a while and when i took it to the lfs they said i have if even 5ppm...heres the question...can a test kit be defective...(i followed the directions exactly)...btw i have saltwater master test kit by api...thanks

yes, sometimes you can get a bad test kit. It was good that you had it tested by your LFS...I would even take some water to a third LFS to confirm your water stats.

You'll get a bad test kit sometimes.You'll also have one to go bad from time to time.
Thats why ever so often,I'll have 2 different LFSs test my water.

The API test kit is weird too.
Don't follow the directions to a T.

Put in the drops of bottle 1, shake, immediately put in the drops of bottle 2, shake, then wait 3 minutes. That gives me the best results......

Make sure you shake the bottles BEFORE each use....sometimes the chemicals can settle.

Both Yote & Dustin are correct. Sometimes the kits are bad and ALWAYS check the expiration dates (My LFS had kits dated 2007)!!!

was the LFS shaking the tube for the right amount of time? I had my LFS test my water once just to compare my tests for accuracy. They came out with everything the same except nitrate they said it was 0. I was like no way I've been fighting this crap for almost a year and I guess BOTH my nitrate kits are bad. So I had them check it again and 0. So I buy a new kit take it home and I get 15. I return 15 mins with another sample and test it side by side with there kit, my new kit, and my old. As we are testing side by side and have added the final drops he shakes the tube for 10-15 seconds and puts it down......the instructions say to shake for 1 min.....sure enough after 1 min of shaking the LFS kit says 15 too.

these were all API kits

Last edited:
no he gave it little shakes here and there..but my xenia and star polyps are growing pretty nicely..i read that they dont multiply under med to high nitrates

Back