Wtf is this ?????

Lesely

Reefing newb
This little silver ball appeared about 3 weeks ago. Hard as a rock. Never moves. Nothing comes in or out of it. Stuck firmly to rock. Looks like a silver ball bearing glued to a rock. ????
image.jpg

I have had lots of friend with bubble algae and this does not look the same, Its silver in colour and hard like a stone. I have touched bubble algae before and it is slimy and sort of soft, there is some flex in the bubble unlike this.
Is this a different bubble algae to green bubble algae ?

I have the same - I did look it up some sort of macro algae forget the exact name they look pretty wild tho

In nutrient rich waters it can become a problem-they burst and release spores I have had three or four in the tank for a least two years don,t seem to spread i,ll take some pictures in the morning, I don,t think you will have any problems your tank looks well maintained you could pull it out- I have popped a few and nothing horrible happened just the potential there if the nutrients are present-

In nutrient rich waters it can become a problem-they burst and release spores I have had three or four in the tank for a least two years don,t seem to spread i,ll take some pictures in the morning, I don,t think you will have any problems your tank looks well maintained you could pull it out- I have popped a few and nothing horrible happened just the potential there if the nutrients are present-
I am amazed that I even have it..nitrates never above 0.02 and phos never abouve 0.03.....I might leave it and see what happens.....i am sad !!!

I would not worry too much -I have also almost undetectable amounts and they have existed in my tanks for years-they can exist you just don,t want them to thrive and multiply-

I would not worry too much -I have also almost undetectable amounts and they have existed in my tanks for years-they can exist you just don,t want them to thrive and multiply-
Cool. Thanks for that. I was panicking. I have seen tanks covered and hate it !

You will like this-ventricaria ventricosa- bubble alga,Baensch marine atlas 1 pg 245 -"Impeccable water quality needed to maintain" phosphate and nitrate free water is a necessity"
I guess we want those to thrive! resembles glass marbles one of the largest unicellular organisms on earth, I knew I had looked up just did not know what book- I will take a picture
of what is left in my tank pulled the two I could reach out! still have two...

Attachments

• 100_0780.JPG
    100_0780.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
You will like this-ventricaria ventricosa- bubble alga,Baensch marine atlas 1 pg 245 -"Impeccable water quality needed to maintain" phosphate and nitrate free water is a necessity"
I guess we want those to thrive! resembles glass marbles one of the largest unicellular organisms on earth, I knew I had looked up just did not know what book- I will take a picture
of what is left in my tank pulled the two I could reach out! still have two...
Hi Jzaso....well i like your photo and explaination a lot. But if its a competition I think mine is prettier....lol..
Thanks for the info. I am assuming that you dont believe its a concern ? Its not going to spread all over the tank ?
I have noticed after looking very carefully that there is 1 more on a rock a long distance from the original one, is this bad and am I going to have a major outbreak ?

Honestly I dont know, just quoting what that book said-I,m like you and worry- I watch those like a hawk... have been for a couple of years now that I think of it! I have had seasonal out breaks of halmedia-sea cactus-macro algae supposed to be a good thing but....they are not helping/hurting the system just a sign of good water quality but I tend to remove when I can because I do not believe everything I read.. Lol! your call sir, I,m going with Erin at this point when in doubt -yes yours is prettier only because I pulled my good one..

Honestly I dont know, just quoting what that book said-I,m like you and worry- I watch those like a hawk... have been for a couple of years now that I think of it! I have had seasonal out breaks of halmedia-sea cactus-macro algae supposed to be a good thing but....they are not helping/hurting the system just a sign of good water quality but I tend to remove when I can because I do not believe everything I read.. Lol! your call sir, I,m going with Erin at this point when in doubt -yes yours is prettier only because I pulled my good one..
yeah right,,,you pulled your good one....lol... I believe you. thanks

If they are soft and filled with fluid it valonia-bad bubble algae-hard and full of gas(nitrogen) good" if there is such a thing-bubble algae-I don,t do crabs anymore had one go rogue
and tear apart a $130.00 fungia to get at the silversides that I fed it-don,t keep shrimp for the same reason they all have no problem reaching into the oral cavity of your lps to steal food-just my experience with them

Back