I added a Coral eauty Angelfish! WOW!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I purchased one tonight for my tank.

Man it is beautiful. The colors are frikin fantastic. I got it for $24 and acclimated it over 1 1/2 hours. My water is great now that I can prove it with my new API test kit.

I now have a Coral Beauty Angelfish a Yellow Fin Damsel and a smaller Blue and Yellow Tail Damsel.

They all look pretty cool together. I have other stuff like a Snowflake Eel and Anemones, ect. but now that I have a test that shows me good water man is that a relief.

Woot Woot is how I feel. After so long thinking my water was bad due to a crappy Red Sea Test Kit x 2.

Heehee I can take them but my HD camera looks weird and the fish don't look as nice as in person. I will try to take some in a few so check back in a little.

Congrats on the new addition, but you should really be waiting three weeks minimum between adding fish. No matter what your tests say.

+1 on needing to wait at least 3 weeks between additions - especially because you added a couple of fish last week.

Its good that you finally have the correct parameter readings on your tank, but we dont want your tank to go through a mini cycle because you have added too many fish at once. Next time celebrate by getting a coral, you can add those whenever and how ever many you like.

Whoa I am to worried about adding a coral. I don't think I am up for the challenge of that.

I hear you on the fish but since then both stars are gone so I really only had the Eel and Damsel. Just saying even though what you say is true.

I just couldn't help it.

I am just going to hope that with such a big tank and with tons of CUC lurking around, it will go well.

My skimmer is also on the best tear it has had.

Here are some pix of the fish and his pals. Sorry I don't get the best pix of it but it glows with color unlike these show.

I also posted some pix I took a while back of one of my Anemones. Sorry for so many.

Attachments

• Coral-Beaty-1.jpg
    Coral-Beaty-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 285
  • Coral-Beaty-2.jpg
    Coral-Beaty-2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Coral-Beaty-3.jpg
    Coral-Beaty-3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 315
  • Plant-1.jpg
    Plant-1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Plant-2.jpg
    Plant-2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
More Pix

Attachments

• Ane-4.jpg
    Ane-4.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 300
  • Ane-3.jpg
    Ane-3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 295
  • Ane-2.jpg
    Ane-2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 281
  • Ane-1.jpg
    Ane-1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 281
  • Ane-5.jpg
    Ane-5.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 315
The starfish were inverts, and they dont count towards the bioload. Also most corals are easier to keep than fish IMO.

Also, you should get those nitrates to zero before you try starfish again. They are very delicate.

Also, your tank isnt what i would consider big, skimmers wont prevent a mini cycle, and neither will having a large CUC. Only having enough bacteria to process the fish waste will prevent a cycle.

You have to learn to help, impulse buys are what cause huge disasters in this hobby.

Who says I don't have enough bacteria. I bet this tank has been sitting for 2 months with enough. But I am listening trust me I trust you.

How about this. If I get any issues I won't buy a fish for 3 months as punishment.

If I don't then we can all be happy.

+1 ME

So on a side note are you saying that slapping a coral in the tank is ok now.

I wouldn't know where to begin and what to do and how to make sure it stays alive. Then if the water fouls up I would be worried.

Oh yeah I think the low salinity was a factor in the starfish. I read they need it .023 to .025 and it was only .021. I am just going by what I read.

Also I got some frozen Angelfish food. I forget the name but I wanted to be able to cut it in half and the drip some RO/DI water on it to be sure I am not putting some bad water in the tank from the food place.

Any tips.

It has a huge mix of different things it is but half a cube exploded in the Powerhead and it looked like that was way to much for what is in the tank and I can't have that happen again.

I was like daaaaammmnnn that little tiny half a cube made that much. The fish were hogging almost all of it and the crabs were running all over.

Don't take my replies as me being a ungrateful non listener. With no sound words seem different.

Thanks a lot.

I won't be getting any fish for a long time after that one.

If I was able to take care of a coral I would think of getting one but I don't know how or what to get anyway.

I want something blue and wavy haha.

Haha that is funny. What are the chances haha.

It says care level is difficult so no way for me. Plus my lights are good but I don't know about that thing.

I have some flay areas near the top of my tank and it is always 79-81 degrees. My salinity was normally steady until I started doing water changes all the time.

It got sloppy but I have decided to be smarter and work harder to make it easier.

I want to get to where it is steady again.

Dr. Tim told me to use his Waste-Away to lower my Nitrates and with water changes. It gets rid of crud in your stuff but even coming from him I don't know.

I have lost a lot of hermit crabs but now I can't put them in the tank since I just added a fish I don't think.

Look, the bacteria feed off of the waste produced by the fish poop. So you only have enough bacteria that the fish poop from 2 fish can feed. When you add more fish, suddenly there is more food so more bacteria grows. You need to wait between additions so the bacteria have a change to grow to handle the new waste load. If you add too many fish at once, the bacteria cant handle all the food - causing the tank to cycle.

So you are right, you have bacteria in there - just not enough yet.

And you dont have to punishes yourself, just dont get buy on impulse.

Yes, i think you would be fine adding some mushrooms to your tank.

Also i think low salinity is a factor, but the nitrates is a bigger problem.

Hermits are inverts and dont count towards the bioload, you can add them whenever you like.

And i have zero idea why that is rated as difficult, its an awesome beginner coral

And you already know my thoughts about adding chemicals to a tank to get rid of chemicals.

Yes ma'am I do.

I don't know one coral from the next.

I will probably wait on the coral.

I saw some awesome fish at the store though. I don't know the names because their signs need updating. It was black and white but had a pattern like a lion fish but it wasn't that kind of fish.

I also like Cardinals and the Mini Lion fish.

I would out of all love a Trigger still but I can't have it.

I was trying to measure the Eel and it looked huge but when I got a good chance it seems to be only 10 inches and it looks over a foot sometimes and it actually looks bigger than when I got it weeks ago.

Oh yeah I also see you have to add stuff to the water for the Corals and I don't know if I want to start with that now.

Maybe post a pic of something easy and any tips.

Back