LED vs Halide

Gwoody

Reefing newb
I have not added the coral and anemone to our tank yet. I am interested in advice on the amount of LED lighting needed to sufficiently care for a 40 gallon tank with coral. Can someone please advise me on the amount of LED needed?

I am not the best one for that kind of advice, so i will let the people who have done the research chime in.

But, you should not add an anemone to any tank until its over a year old. They are some of the hardest animals to keep in this hobby. They require very high lighting conditions and pristine water conditions, any nitrates or swings in your parameters (salinity, temp, water conditions etc) will kill them, and they will kill everything else by the toxins they release.

But as soon as you have some light, you can try out some of the easier corals, like mushrooms, zoas, leathers and work up to the more demanding corals, like LPS and SPS.

Take a look into both the Ecoray and Evolution line of LED lights. A Google search of each will come up with dozens of forums about them. For both fixtures, you would probably need two of the 60 LED units for adequate coverage of your 40.

I've heard many mixed responses about LEDs and how they lose their affect after a year or so. They are fairly new to the game, so personally halides are a safer bet. But I'll leave the experts here who tried them shed some light on it.

Best Regards.

I researched LED quite a bit before going the T5 route. In my opinion, there just isn't enough evidence that LEDs will last long enough with a usable light output. Even the guy who owns Evolution lights claims that he doesn't know what is giong to happen in 3 years. That's a big risk if spending $350 per light! With T5s, I know I can replace the bulbs anytime and be as good as new.

Eveloution fixtures are out of date. Heck, any LED fixture that still runs 1w LEDs is out of date. Any LED fixture should be running a min of 3w LEDs....To be honest LED isnt worth it at this time IMO. Still way to expensive for GOOD LEDs and the research really still isnt there. Im sticking with T5's for now. Halides arent worth the electric bill that comes with it.

+1 Every point Dana made. I've got a 6 bulb across nova extreme pro that I'm loving. Will they support anemones? Probably only the lower light ones. I would do LOTS of research before adding an anemone however.

Agree with Dana and Lizardgi ,i have 2 dual nova extremes ......i also wanted a nem awhile back,but after reading more on them and opinions from everyone here i decided not to get one....just get a bunch of hairy mushrooms:mrgreen:

I dont know much bought nem's...i know ALOT of ppl grow GREAT SPS with thier T5's tho. One week and ill be ordering my new lights! Hopefully i get better growth with 6 bulbs instead of 4. Your lights do look fabulous Lizard

+1 Every point Dana made. I've got a 6 bulb across nova extreme pro that I'm loving. Will they support anemones? Probably only the lower light ones. I would do LOTS of research before adding an anemone however.

In my opinion, that light could support any anemone.

Back