Lessons Learned Thread

earman88

Reefing newb
If it hasn't been done already here at LR, I propose we create a sticky thread for lessons learned. This would be mainly aimed at beginners but I suppose all levels of issues are welcomed.

Try to keep your posts brief and to the point, and if further detail is necessary, link to another post.

If this has been done already, someone just slap me and delete this thread.

Don't change too much of your water at once.
I changed about 80% of my 10g and it caused my tank to have an algae explosion and almost killed my firefish.

Don't get in a hurry to buy anything from your LFS. Get plenty of opinions/reviews from people online. I have wasted a lot of money over just a year of reef keeping.

Refractometer is a much better alternative, so much more accurate, Hydro's die within a month if that.

Keep an aquarium notebook. I list my parameters, date, time of day (pH), when bulbs were changed, etc. I also keep a photo journal to see the tanks progress. And one last thing is write an observation of new livestock and then periodically.
My husband says I should put a $$ column in, but I think that would be scary.

Refractometer. I am waiting on mine to arrive. My hydrometer read 1.024 and I took a water sample to LFS and they checked it with refractometer 1.028.

OH I have a few!

• Don't make major changes to your tank too close to a planned vacation.
  • Don't do things to your tank if you're about to rush out the door - you're more likely to forget to do something (I can't remember the thread, but one of the more experienced aquarists in the hobby had a major dosing accident when he rushed out the door -- I can't remember how, but something he did to the dosing pump right before he rushed out caused it to stay on and OD'd his entire tank).
  • You should always do a once over of your tank once a day, even just a quick glance...there have been a couple of occasions when I'm glad I peek at my sump area everyday otherwise I'd have had flooding issues from my ATO not working properly, or my ATO line falling into the sump, causing my rodi reserve to continually fill up the sump via gravity.
  • If you go on vacation and have a pet sitter, pre-measure the food so they can't accidentally overfeed ;)

Don't use irrigation/sprinkler system plastic piping for your return pump - its not as strong as PCV and *will* break and leak. I learned this only after it leaked the second time.

Drill a small hole just below the water line of you return plumbing... check valves will fail and you will drain half your tank when the power goes out. The hole breaks the siphon and prevents this.

If the creature is considered "expert only" it really is expert only and no how much reading and planning you do, dont start with one. Even if someone you like is telling you it will be fine. It wont.

Take every thing you read or are told with a grain of salt.
Fish and inverts are LIVING creatures and they don't all act like they should.

I'll take a page out Biff's book and say

YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. No matter how much you really really want something to do well in your tank, if your tank is not the proper size, if your tank is not old enough, if you have other inhabitants that will beat something up... it will happen.

Wishing doesn't make it so.

YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. No matter how much you really really want something to do well in your tank, if your tank is not the proper size, if your tank is not old enough, if you have other inhabitants that will beat something up... it will happen.

Definitely true. I listened to a Petco employee and another customer one day about a bubble tip anemone. They said "You should be fine.. just make sure.. blah blah" ... NO.

If you aren't 110% sure you're aquarium is capable of sustaining something, don't put it in there.

A month or two passed and my BTA withered away. How stupid was I?...

Live and learn ;) Sometimes you follow the rules, but things can still go wrong. It happens. Nothing is 100%.

True, I have to go back on my last statement. You can never be 100% sure a new creature/coral will accept your tank.

But still, if there is any doubt whatsoever, chances are it won't work out.

Back