Start Up Costs???

frankrom

Reefing newb
Can anyone give me a rough idea what the start up costs would be for a salt water tank? With out skimping out.

Maybe something around the 100-150 gallon range?

Thanks

Your tank, live rock will be the most expensive.
At the moment im ordering in a 125 dual overflows, 100lb dry rock and a octopus skimmer with one 1050gph and one 750gph.
Thats come up to a grand. But i already have the sump, but no return pump baffles ect.
It can get quite expensive.

Just the tank, stand, lights, protein skimmer, rocks and sand in my 90 gallon is probably $3000 or so. That doesn't include test kits, salt, livestock or plumbing. :(

I have almost 2500 in my 75 gallon, but that is due to my error ordering wrong stuff. I could have easily knocked $500 off of that. Do your resarch and know what you are buying before you make the purchase.

i got my tank used,the tank,stand,lights,circ pumps and a bunch of other stuff for 350,and mine is a 75 gal,getting new lights though so ill be forking out another 300 at least depending on the light system i get,i got 50 lbs dry base rock for 89 bucks,and 75 lbs sand for 45 bucks

The most expensive thing in my tank was the skimmer....it was around $400...my tank (125g with predrilled dual overflows) was used, and was only $200. Most everything else I diy'd.

Rocks are definitely gonna cost a lot....but I have learned to make my own rocks....I spent around $25 in materials to make more than enough rocks to populate my tank.....takes time though.

I started with everything new. Tank, Stand (Petco, came with HOB filter, compact lighting- not good for reef), Sand, test kits and such (stuff that I dont use anymore) $500, $220 for lighting, $200 for HOB Aquamaxx protein skimmer, $260 HOB CPR Refugium, $50 Phosphate reactor w/ media, water pumps $90, and live rock/live stock I am not sure.... we are getting up there in cost :mrgreen: I am still new but I have spent more money replacing equipment that I probably should have just bought the first time around:frustrat: Good luck :Cheers:

This is a very expensive hobby.....I used a site called craigslist and bought someone out that was breaking down there tank. I dont know if yall have a local classified site but used stuff works good just have to know what your buying.....Good Luck

I'm in the process of doing a 120 and I figure i'm about halfway home on equipment and I'm in it for a grand right now. That's tank, sump, skimmer, return pump. RO/DI system and Lights will be next and then heaters, powerheads... So I would say between 2 and 3 before you even get any water in it.

I kept track of all initial equipment costs for my 130g starphire rimless cube. Custom tank, stand, and sump. And then all the other stuff like protein skimmer, lights, substrate, rock, clean up crew, dosing pumps, powerheads, system pump, automated controller, etc. All said and done I easily have over $8,000 into it, everything bought new.

yep, new tanks are pricey as. the 180 im looking at should be around that much :S and most of it will be on the lights

This is a very expensive hobby.....I used a site called craigslist and bought someone out that was breaking down there tank. I dont know if yall have a local classified site but used stuff works good just have to know what your buying.....Good Luck
!!! Oh YES !!! Heres my set up from CraigsList
240g tank $300
240g stand (had to refinish) $180
2- 3200gph powerheads (ebay) $45
1 Coralife Supe Skimmer (modified) $160
2-Metal Halide Retro set up (ebay) $150 including bulbs
2 Batwing reflectors $40
150lbs Crushed Coral $100
Then there is the Live Rock issue. Depending onhow much you get. I put in 60lbs of actual Live Rock and seeded the rest with dry rock over time. Total rock 220lbs.
No sump. Tank currently running.

Craigslist is great! we dont have as good of a second hand market as you guys + all depends on what your looking for :)

possibly, but to be honest, I cant see it being worth the time, and I cant really inspect the items and make sure of the quality.

I prefer in the end to pay extra in order to get a quality part. And its not like I can send tanks over. Which is the best part of craigslist.

possibly, but to be honest, I cant see it being worth the time, and I cant really inspect the items and make sure of the quality.

I prefer in the end to pay extra in order to get a quality part. And its not like I can send tanks over. Which is the best part of craigslist.
Right on.

I calculate my 75 gallon tank will cost a bit over $2500 for everything. Only thing used is the tank, stand, sump, and return pump.

Back