10 hr move

gasman

Reefing newb
What is the best way to move a 6 month old tank? I have 23# of live rock,1 clam, 1 angel, and 1 chromis. I am moving and it will be a 10 hr drive. Tank will be the last on truck. Please help.

if you have got some rubbermaid tubs. you can store your live rock in a tub just soak some newspaper heavily in tank water and pack them in that. as for the fish. I would get as big a tub asyou can get, the more water in there the more oxygen. I would get them in a tub and get a powerhead in there while you pack the rest of the tank up. and then haul them up and move them down the road.

I would personally individually bag each fish.

This is how they are transhipped to your pet store and that trip can be much longer than 10 hours.

I would suggest more air than water. Only so much air in a bag and air holds more oxygen per volume than water, so you will have some gas exchange. Plus you can then put the bags in a cooler to keep the temperature more constant. I would recommend 1/3 water to 2/3 air.

Just my thoughts.

Brandon

I would suggest you doing some reading on your own as to the proper method to bag a fish. As mentioned in article one below things like double bagging and transporting in a cooler are probably more important the worring about the water to air issue.

I won't turn this into a debate, but if you are trying to give your fish more oxygen the answer is more air not water. However I agree you don't want your fish to be rapped in a wet paper towel either, because having enough water to dilute any urination/waste so that it isn't raised to poisonus levels is also important.

Good luck and please let us know how things go.

Brandon

From an online article:
Fish are most likely to suffocate when the bag contains too much water. The volume ratio of air to water is more important under most conditions. Roughly, the bag should contain no more than 25 percent water. In fact, the great risk to transporting fish is not asphyxiation but 1) ammonia poisoning, 2) overheating or freezing, 3) leaks, 4) physical injury and 5) systemic stress from handling during the move.

From another online article:
When plastic bagging fish for transport, use only enough water to just cover the dorsal fin. Squeeze out the current air, add 5-10 times the amount of oxygen as water.

transfering fish and live rock

what i did was i went to lowe's and bought 11 empty buckets with lids in each bucket i would put some live rock an fill salt water to about 4 inches from top at the end i would add all the fish in 1 bucket so the rocks would crush my shrimp an fish the crabs are tough they went with the live rock. when i set it back up i lost nothing oh i rinsed the buckets with no detergents just fresh sqeezed lemons. lemons are a natural cleansing agent.

bkv, I was talking about more water than air if you are going to be using the breathing bag system which i provided the link to, which states that you should have no air, less movement etc. you should read it. It is quite interesting.

Last edited:
I have personally seen them before.

They are super thin. I bought a couple corals from a guy that came in them. They might work good for shipping loose zoo polyps, but i would be scared to ship/transport anything that could cause a hole in the bag.

No problem on that Marg, I just didn't want gasman to get the wrong idea.

They sale those air pumps for power outages that run on batteries, maybe those could help, but I would think temp would rather be the problem.

Back