110watts?

GSIMER

Reefing newb
Is 110w enogh lite for pollups? What temperature should my tank be at? Right now it is at about 78, and its hard to keep it much cooler with the light on!

depends on the size of the tank. anything larger than about a 30 or 35 gallon it wont be enough. you want about 4ish watts per gallon for them

Some polyps will do ok under just 110 watts,but they wont grow like they would under more intense lighting.
With a 37 gallon tank that will only give you a little over 2 watts per gallon,which is ok for some mushrooms,and other low light polyps.Just remember that the less light it needs,the more food it needs to make up the difference.

Polyps are a little general...what polyps exactly?110w may be enough for mushrooms,Zoanthids,possibly other soft coral like Colt,Kenya but in the long run you probably want to go with more.220w would give you more to play with.

Remember, you are trying to copy the sun with your lighting. The more the better. If you can get more on your tank, do it. I wish I went with MH at the start, but I have had to make due with PCs. Good luck

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I agree, you probably need more light. And 78 degrees is fine. Anywhere between 76 and 82 is good, what's important is that your temperature stays as stable as possible, try to avoid temperature swings of more than a couple degrees throughout a 24 hour period.

high temp problems happen above 90 degrees seen some tanks that are 85 an do fine, like biff said don't want temperature to change to quick.

They are actually Button Pollups, and they aren't doing so good. My water temp is at 76 now. I raised them to the top of my live rock pile and still no better. 1/2 of them looj ok, but the other 1/2 wont open and look like the're starting to shrivel up.

It could very well be a lack of light... But it could also be a water quality or circulation issue. What are your water parameters?

The temperature of your system is recommended to be between 78 and 85 with only a two degree fluctuation over 24 hours. I believe 76 is a bit low but some run at 76 with no problems. just keep your temperature stable and try to zero in on 78 to 80 degrees. good luck.

Back