12 Gallon Eclispe

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
As you may know I just started up a 12 gallon eclispe saltwater tank a week ago. As I have been doing my reading I have learned that I will probably need more intense lighting for corals. Right now I have a white and blue fluorescent 13 W. What would work with mine bevause it has a full cover.

Does leaving your lights on longer make up for the weaker lighting?

Thanks ahead of time!!!!

leaving your lights on longer is more likely to just start an algae bloom, sorry to say. As far as lights go i would say no less than 40 watts on your tank for lots of coral additions, of course it depends on what kind of corals you want to do so that was just a number thrown out there based on nothing, but you definately want to have more than 1 watt per gallon

I have an eclipse 12 I use as a qtank and im sorry to say there is no cheap way to make the lights better. Your pretty much stuck with a FOWLR setup. I also would reccommend getting a small powerhead to increase the circulation in the tank.

Those Eclipse are best for a FOWLR and maybe a few shrooms and zoanthids.Theres no way to increase the lighting without removing the whole light and cover.I'm not even sure they make a T5 fixture that would fit.You would have to stick with higher wattage PC or a MH pendant or clamp on MH.Medal halides have there drawbacks,mainly heat,especially over a small 12g.

I would be affraid a MH would melt the hood on an eclipse. Mine runs pretty hot and I just have the stock pc not the 50/50 pc this one has. The design of the tank is kinda aquward and would be really hard to controll heat and make room for the light. Reef is right you could keep shrooms and polyps

Back