120 Gallon

613ReefGuy

Reefing newb
So it has been a very long time since I have been on here. It seems like I was just getting started into the hobby and then went through a break up that caused me to have to sell a 120 gallon tank that had never even seen any water in it. I sold it for $200, but it had a coast to coast installed and two holes drilled with bulkheads....was a steal of a deal for the guy as those things alone cost more than $200.

A few days ago, on April 1st actually.....I received an email that he had taken the tank down as he no longer had the time with his new born baby. Included in his items for sale are:
- my original 120 gallon with some minor tweaking to minimize gurgling sounds
- Neptune apex controller with temp, Ph probes, wireless adapter, 2 powerbars (16 outlets)
- Koralia wavemaker with 2 Koralia 4's
- 2 Apollo SolarBlast UV 5000+ (These are controlled through the Apex)
- Mag 7 return pump (Going to sell this as I dont think its enough flow for me, and get something bigger)
- 130 lbs of dry rock (its pretty clean but I would like to know if I should cook it, scrub it?)
- All kinds of stuff from Bulk Reef Supply, Calcium, Magnesium, Hardness, Salt
- Dosing pumps
- Even a small Dymax IQ3 with two robot LEDs (I brought that home with me last night)

I was very happy to receive this email, although I am terrified at setting up this tank in my very small living room, and worried about the weight in this apartment. It is the 60" version of the 120, so the weight distribution does span out a decent amount.

We sent emails back and forth in the morning, and then he told me that he wanted $1000 for everything. I never got into the hobby fully in the past, but I realized very quickly that this is exactly the type of setup I wanted in the past......The lights alone are worth that and are only 9 months old (The duration of the time he actually had things running for). I had to ask him if this was an April fools joke, lol.

I went over to check things out last night, and gave him a deposit. We agreed that I would pick it up in a couple of weeks to allow me to focus on building a stand. This is where I need a little help.....Could anyone direct me to a strong sturdy and easy to build stand thread? My big thing is that I need lots of room down below for my sump. The 120 is 18" so i am worried about not having the space down below once that load is carried down. I really wanted to be able to put as big of a sump as I could fit, Ideally a 40 gallon breeder, but I dont think that can happen. Any help here would be appreciated.

He had an algae scrubber which he tossed, but I will be purchasing a Bubble Magnus skimmer once things are just about ready to set up.

Question for those who use the Apex. From what he told me he was evaporating almost 5 gallons a day, so now I will have to build some kind of box beside the tank with a Brute garbage can or something for top off water. I am just concerned about a reverse siphon bringing in all of that water into my sump. Is there a way to program the apex so that when a float gets too low....a pump on the inside of the garbage can pumps water in (Pipe would end just above the water to break any siphon there), and then when the float gets to the desired height the pump shuts off? Just seems like an easy way to do things with minimal risk if possible. He was telling me with this setup he was once able to leave for 10 days and the system just kept working properly (Fish were on flake food so an auto feeder made things easy there).

Anyways I just wanted to start a thread and hope for a couple questions answered to get me building my stand asap. Thank you everyone, feels good to be back :)

Attachments

• photo(13).JPG
    photo(13).JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 300
  • photo(14).JPG
    photo(14).JPG
    34 KB · Views: 312
Question for those who use the Apex. From what he told me he was evaporating almost 5 gallons a day, so now I will have to build some kind of box beside the tank with a Brute garbage can or something for top off water. I am just concerned about a reverse siphon bringing in all of that water into my sump. Is there a way to program the apex so that when a float gets too low....a pump on the inside of the garbage can pumps water in (Pipe would end just above the water to break any siphon there), and then when the float gets to the desired height the pump shuts off? Just seems like an easy way to do things with minimal risk if possible. He was telling me with this setup he was once able to leave for 10 days and the system just kept working properly (Fish were on flake food so an auto feeder made things easy there).

Welcome back to the hobby! Can't wait to see your setup.
Yes you can program your apex to do that. You can get a couple of ATO switches from DA or even autotopoff.com. As for a reservoir for the RO/DI water - you can use any type of water container. 5 gallon seems like a lot for a 120g tank. The reservoir does not necessarily need to be next to your sump/tank - it depends on the pump you are using.

You will need a breakout box which will receive the input from those switches. This will drive a pump from one of your outlets - most people use dosing pumps for this. My favorite is the Tom's Aqua Lifter.

And, yes - you need to have a siphon break (depending on the pump used)- either in the line that draws your ATO water or ,the way I do it is, to put the pump above the ATO source and sump waterline.

Or - just get a regular ATO setup and save yourself the headache of debugging your APEX programming and setting up a breakout box. I have an APEX but use the autotopoff.com setup. Works phenomenal.

Back