12G OG NanoCube lighting question

krazydy

Reefing newb
HI. WEll I'm a bit confused of what types of lights to get. I was looking into buying nano customes 12G Hoods that are direct replacement for my hood. The had 48W and 68W. My question is would this be sufficent light to host SPS coral? I have now the original 24w and have frogspawn, pulsating xenias and an open brain all doing well. what corals would I be abel to host with either the 48w or 68w lights?

Keeping mostly SPS, I wouldnt' try it in a nano, but not saying it can't be done.

Keeping the alkalinity and calcium levels constant or high enough with such a small water volume would be extrememly frustrating. Not to mention most nanos don't have a skimmer and constant water conditions are so important with SPS.

If you try it let me know how it works out...

I currently do have a skimmer and my ph stays @ 8.2 constant. I use purple up everyday to keep my calcium levels up and it also keeps my ph levels at the levels metionesd abovedand test my tank paramaters 2 times a week and for the last 6 months its been perfect and my temp is even constant @ 75.6 deg.

Sounds like you have things under contro. Like I said anything can be done, but it will require constant monitoring and testing.

A long weekend away with a 12g stocked with SPS and your alkalinity will crash... just keep that in mind.

Brandon

Also be aware if you increase the lighting you may need to chill the water. there some chillers out there for nano's now but make sure you consider the heat aspect of larger wattage lights.

Back