1st Water change question

Shishimon

Reefing newb
My 29 gallon Bio Cube has been up for 30 days. I have been topping off a gallon every two days. I did my first water change last night about 20%. Ammonia has been at 0 for a week. Nitrite has been at 0 for a week and Nitrate has been steady at 40 ppm. I tested the water using my API Saltwater Master Test Kit ( not sure if this kit is a good one, thinking of buying a Red Sea Kit ). My Nitrate levels are still at 40 ppm. I'm wondering if my Nitrate test is bad or something, I thought I would see an big drop in that level. I only have live rock and live sand in tank now. I also saw that my PH dropped from 8.3 to 7.8 not sure if this may influence my Nitrate test? I am currently dosing my tank with SeaChem Marine Buffer to raise PH back to 8.3. Any thoughts guys?

A 50% water change would only bring them down to 20ppm if i remember correctly. When did you test? right after you changed the water? Also do you test your PH at the same time every day?

Yes PH changes through out the day.

I would just do a bunch of smaller water changes until your nitrates are in a better spot. If you use RO water you can test that and see if your nitrate test went bad.

If you are using tap water it may be in the water.

I was thinking about adding my clean up crew. I'm sure that Nitrate level needs to be much lower. Should I perform another water change to drop Nitrate?

How long did you let the new water sit with a powerhead before using it in the water change? The water should be allowed to sit for 24 hrs to allow for the salt to fully dissolve and allow the pH to stabilize

Honestly about 10 hrs. I will allow 24 for future changes. I tested SG @ 1.024. I tested mt tank this morning 8 hours after water change and SG in tank is 1.024. I'm really bummed on Nitrate levels still at 40 ppm. What would be the normal weekly water change in a 29 gallon tank?

Normal weekly water changes should be 10% to 20%, so 3 to 6 gallons. I would stop dosing for pH -- 7.8 is fine, and within the normal range, especially if you tested it at 7.8 in the first half of the day after the lights came on.

As for the nitrates, you should get them lower before you add a clean up crew, so you are correct about that. I would do a couple more large water changes (~30% to 40%) to try to get them drop further.

Don't worry -- you are not doing anything wrong. Every cycle is different and with some tanks, the nitrates are just a little bit more stubborn and take more work to get down.

Along with the water changes already suggested, if you are still using the stock filter pad I would definitely change that out for a new one if you haven't already, and you should also rinse the sponge filter at the bottom of chamber 2. This should be done at a minimum every 30 days, but with a new tank even more often because they will get dirtier faster. Both pieces are "mechanical" filters so they are simply trapping debris in the water, and all that trapped junk in the pads will continue to decompose and break down so when they get really dirty, they can actually be polluting your water more than cleaning it!

Charlieb I removed all stock filtration. I filled the second compartment with live rock and am just using a bio bag filled with carbon. Thank u as always bifferwine!!! I did a 3 gallon water change yesterday and on Sunday will be performing a 40% change. Once it get Nitrates at 0 I will be doing weekly 3 gallon water changes to keep low. Question if I mix up 5 gallons of saltwater at a time but only use 3 gallons will saltwater be ok to sit for a week with frequent stirring?

Yes, the water will be fine sitting. You might want to get a small powerhead to keep the water moving while it sits. Keep in mind you may not get to zero nitrates. That's very hard to achieve! Anything below 20 is fine, and below 10 is ideal. I don't want you to get frustrated if you are shooting for zero and aren't getting there!

+1 on the dirty sponge comment. I KNOW!!! There was a hidden sponge in my sump and boy did that cause issues. Its been 6 months sincie I figured out that and I'm still having some troubles.

Sounds like your doing good though. Take your time and don't rush. It won't be long before you have something moving around in there!

Nonfamous yeah I striped this thing down to only stock lighting everything else has been upgraded. I'm so ready for some kind of live stock. I do have some growth on the rock now not sure what it is. I am not rushing I want to do this right.

Back