2 questions

Dakwan

Reefing newb
A while back i asked some advice on whether to keep my tank going despite routine trips away for work. I've now got an ato setup that works awesome and have everything as automated as I can. The ato actually has made me love my tank even more because it got rid of my least favorite tank chore.

My first question is i'd like to set up multiple auto feeders with different food because i'm pro dietary diversity. I currently feed pellets in the morning as well as attach a half sheet of nori and then feed frozen mysis and other assorted frozen food at night. I don't want to JUST feed pellets so i was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the various different freeze dried mysis and other foods...basically anything that can be shoved in an auto feeder.

My second question is about my skimmer: it drives me friggin nuts! the venturi pumps occasionally get stuck and i need to bang them on the side of the sump to get them spinning again. If i turn off the pumps they need to get banged around to start up again. Not a huge deal if they outright stop while i'm gone because atleast its not going to wreck anything other than make my water quality a little poor. But I just came home today and the skimmer was overflowing like crazy and spitting water everywhere! got water all over inside the stand and even flooded onto my floor a little bit. Would have been awful if this had happened while i was away! I was hoping someone perhaps had a clue as to why a skimmer would suddenly go nights after being set up to the right height for quite awhile.

A while back i asked some advice on whether to keep my tank going despite routine trips away for work. I've now got an ato setup that works awesome and have everything as automated as I can. The ato actually has made me love my tank even more because it got rid of my least favorite tank chore.

My first question is i'd like to set up multiple auto feeders with different food because i'm pro dietary diversity. I currently feed pellets in the morning as well as attach a half sheet of nori and then feed frozen mysis and other assorted frozen food at night. I don't want to JUST feed pellets so i was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the various different freeze dried mysis and other foods...basically anything that can be shoved in an auto feeder.

My second question is about my skimmer: it drives me friggin nuts! the venturi pumps occasionally get stuck and i need to bang them on the side of the sump to get them spinning again. If i turn off the pumps they need to get banged around to start up again. Not a huge deal if they outright stop while i'm gone because atleast its not going to wreck anything other than make my water quality a little poor. But I just came home today and the skimmer was overflowing like crazy and spitting water everywhere! got water all over inside the stand and even flooded onto my floor a little bit. Would have been awful if this had happened while i was away! I was hoping someone perhaps had a clue as to why a skimmer would suddenly go nights after being set up to the right height for quite awhile.

Calcium deposits can clog pumps. Also, I have a problem with Limpets crawling into my pump when I turn it off for ten minutes or more. When I try to turn it back on the pump makes some horrible noise and I end up having to disassemble the whole thing, pull the limpet out and put it back together.

Sen:
The pumps are cleaned and nothing gets stuck inside... There are some pieces of rubber that help keep the rotor shaft aligned that have partially disintegrated that i think is the problem. I've tried to fix it but it didn't seem to help. I'm just hesitant to try and find replacement parts or new pumps when i'm not having luck with the skimmer in general.

Pirate: I'm gone for 10 days each month. My plan is to have the tank taken care of by autofeeder(s) and an ato and to try and get someone to drop by every 3-4 days and attach a sheet of nori for the tangs and check temperature and timers etc. my bioload is pretty small for the tank size... a blue hippo tang, naso tang, 5 chromis, a cleaner wrasse (that came with the tank) and two baby percula clowns my friends just raised and gave to me.

meshman:
the skimmer is an ati bubble master
I think it is an older model of this
ATI Bubble Master 250 Protein Skimmer
looks identical except for i have a silencer per pump instead of one shared.. i'm thinking of writing the company to complain because i'm really not happy with it

I have tried freeze dried foods and my fish won't touch it. And they love anything and everything. I would use flakes and pellets.

I've left my tank alone for 10 days and it was fine. The secret is NOT to tinker with the tank in the last two days before you leave.

Back