2 ?'s

simpleman

Reefing newb
Picked up this Clam (Crocea I think) about 2 weeks ago. The mantle looks colorful and streched out. Just wondering if this "streched out appearance is a good thing.
tank2007.jpg

Also wondering if anyone could ID this coral. SPS?LPS? Thanks guys!
tank2005.jpg

It looks like it is stretching for some light.Sorry,I never seen my clam do that before.

The second looks like an LPS,Elegance coral to be exact.Moderate light,low-moderate flow and occassional feeding of mysis,chopped silversides and other meaty foods.I would move it to sand bed,the tissue is easily damage by the rocks.

i agree on both ID's, but it looks like a sick elegance coral to me. you have to be extremely knowledgeable on elegance corals BEFORE buying one.

That elegance doesn't look happy to me either... Usually their tentacles are very long and extended. And I agree with the clam looking like it's trying to get more light. Do you have enough light on your tank to keep a clam? They have high lighting requirements.

That elegance doesn't look happy to me either... Usually their tentacles are very long and extended. And I agree with the clam looking like it's trying to get more light. Do you have enough light on your tank to keep a clam? They have high lighting requirements.

So late.

I know it's not elegance. It looks exactly the way I got it from the LFS. When it's upset you can't even see it's tentacles. When I asked the LFS they said it's an encrusting form of coral, like a horn coral. The clam is directly under a metal halide lamp.

Was that picture of the encrusting coral taken when the lights are out? If so, it's probably an LPS, Mycedium would be my guess.

I'm not sure. But it does look a lot like the Mycedium that I have in my tank. Except the tentacles only come out at night for mine.

Nope. My pic is with light on, it looks dark because I lowered the brightness on my camera. Otherwise it looks like a fluoresent blob.:mrgreen:

i still say its an elegance. can you post a link to where the pic is hosted (photobucket, imageshack, ect) so i can get a closer look at it in a large image ?? nevermind i saved it to my computer and looked at it through my program.

Last edited:
try moving down to the sandbed and out of DIRECT MH light. hopefully it is not to late for it. they burn VERY easily when a sudden lighting change happens. like when you buy it from the LFS (under their lights) and take it home and put it under yours. it is kind of like when you get a sunburn.

If it's a BLOB, then it's probably an elegance. There's no way an encrusting coral is BLOBBY. Encrusting corals are hard, like the pics of the Mycedium I posted above.

I don't think it's the encrusting horn coral you posted. Those polyps seem way too big to be an SPS.

Back