20 Gallon Tank..Converting to salt...need help!

Most of the buffalo stores carries cured live rock. Petmart in Batavia is taking down their saltwater room as we speak. They are have a sale with blowout pricing that started on thursday. You should take a trip their and get some stuff. Kenny also has a room of used tanks. Best deals that I have ever seen.

Thanks Ryan, Ill give that a try tmrw and see what I can find.

I also spotted a 44g tank on craigslist for only $60, I emailed him because for $60 Ill buy that :^:

Ill post tmrw with what I end up doing as I will be driving around to the different stores then as I didn't have time today to do so.

Its Petmart in Batavia. Get of the 90 at batavia left at the light, take it to intersection of rte33(hess on your right) take a left again. Go to the 33 and 5 wye take the right onto rte 5 take it until you start getting to the outskirts of batavia its on your right. I think that is is just past the railroad tracks.

Heres their website
http://www.petmartpets.net/

Its Petmart in Batavia. Get of the 90 at batavia left at the light, take it to intersection of rte33(hess on your right) take a left again. Go to the 33 and 5 wye take the right onto rte 5 take it until you start getting to the outskirts of batavia its on your right. I think that is is just past the railroad tracks.

Heres their website
http://www.petmartpets.net/

I went there and found a pretty nice deal for a 36 gallon bow front with cabinet. Only $110 for both. There is just a tiny scuff on the frame of the tank...which I can sand down and stain if I wanted to but you can barely notice it.

Pretty good deal :-)

Today Im going to the reef stores in rochester to see what they have and start this tank up and running hopefully tonight. :^:

Ill post back with more details

Well I wasn't able to make it to the reef stores tonight before they closed.

However I was able to set up the tank at my house and it looks nice.
Since its 36 gallon...what changes to my list should I make?

Question now though for my list:
1. CPR Bakpak skimmer
2. 40lb of live rock (pre-cured, buying online most likely)
3. 25lb of live sand
4. T5 light fixture
5. 2 Maxi jet 900 power heads
6. 2 mag float magnet algae cleaners

Should I change the power heads to 1200's due to the larger tank?

Also 50lbs of live rock?

I figure I will order the power heads online monday so they will get to my house wednesday or thursday. That way I can set up the tank with water and sand earlier this week and on thursday/friday put in live rock.

That a good plan?

Also which heater do you guys recommend for a tank this big now.

You might want to look at the Koralia powerheads.A couple of the K-3s or even 4s would give you a decent current.Of even pick up a couple of eco-mods for the maxi-jets.

Yep follow Yotes lead on the powerheads. I also was a happy Petmart customer today. 280 pounds of aragonite for 150 bucks! I told you that is a good store. I would personally go with the Korillias. I would jump up to 50-60 pounds of live rock with the larger tank.

Just to add a third voice ... definitely check out the Koralia power heads. I purchased a Koralia #3 for about $35 and a around $32 for a #2 via E-bay (new, in box).

Yep follow Yotes lead on the powerheads. I also was a happy Petmart customer today. 280 pounds of aragonite for 150 bucks! I told you that is a good store. I would personally go with the Korillias. I would jump up to 50-60 pounds of live rock with the larger tank.

Ya they had a lot of stuff there, their scratch and dent section is awesome. If I was living in rochester longer then a year, I would have definately bought one of the larger tanks they had for about $100.

The 36 gallon tanks were only $60 which was pretty sweet.

I found a pair of those powerheads on ebay for $80 shipped. Seems like the best deal for them

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PUMPS-Koralia...ryZ46312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

K so the list is down to:

1. CPR Bakpak skimmer
2. 50lb of live rock (pre-cured, buying online most likely)
3. 45lb of live sand
4. T5 light fixture
5. 2 Koralia 4 power heads
6. 2 mag float magnet algae cleaners

Now a few questions on the light fixture. They didnt have any covers that would fit my tank at the store...so I am assuming I will have to build my own and have lights built into it.

Any recommendations on how I should set up the lighting and the top of the tank?

Thanks guys for all the help, I really can't wait to see this set up...but I will be patient and do everything right the first time.

I figure I will buy the pumps monday, put the water in the tank and buy live sand.

Then put in the live rock on tuesday or wednesday.

This way I can start the cycle and let the tank just sit in place and do its thing. Due to the size, Im guessing anywhere from 3-5 weeks for it to be ready for livestock.

Oh I noticed on the T5 light fixtures that the Nova Extreme pro is pretty big...

My tanks dimensions are:
30x15x21

Its an All Glass Bow Front 36g.

So for lighting...what should I do for this sucker lol

Put the rock in before the sand it will prevent rockslides if you get any sand dwelling livestock. You could definately build a canopy and do DIY T5 retros or just get a fixture up to your bank account and how you want the tank to look.

Get a 24" fixture or a single 250w halide pendant up to you. The 24 inch will come with legs to mount on a 30 inch tank you might even be able to get a 30 inch fixture havent looked at anything under 48" personally so Im not sure.

Get a 24" fixture or a single 250w halide pendant up to you. The 24 inch will come with legs to mount on a 30 inch tank you might even be able to get a 30 inch fixture havent looked at anything under 48" personally so Im not sure.

Ok Ill browse around some more. Ill need the lighting before I get the live rock though right?

So I should make lighting my priority now?

You can add the live rock before the new lights.Its not going to make that much of a difference.
When I had my Nova Extremes over my 55,the fixture fit flush with front and back of the tank.12" wide light sitting on a 12" wide tank.It made it a challange,to work in the tank,but not that much of a challange.The same fixture is now on my 75 and gives me only 3" on each side.Still a tight fit.But its worth the hassle for good lights.

The T5 will cover the top of the tank and make access difficult unless it is hung from ceiling with a retractable. Despite my previous recommendation I would seriously consider a halide pendant for this tank which generally comes with a retractable cord to make tank access easier.

The T5 will cover the top of the tank and make access difficult unless it is hung from ceiling with a retractable. Despite my previous recommendation I would seriously consider a halide pendant for this tank which generally comes with a retractable cord to make tank access easier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/250-W-Metal-Hal...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That what you had in mind?

What are the benefits of using this kind of set up vs the T5. Also, would I have to buy separate moonlighting?

Oh also do I really need the protien skimmer?

Seems like some tanks have them some dont

As for a filter what filter should I get for the 36g tank?

Back